10G hood from eBay, which one to pick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
So im looking for a new fluorescent hood for my upcoming betta tank project to replace my current one. The one's i've seen online go for around $40, which i guess is a decent price but would really like to get one around $20. I found two on eBay that look sufficient to me. Im not sure if im allowed to post these types of links, so i'll just show you pictures:

First one is from a company called Aqua Culture:

Second one is from Jebo:

I've tried looking up a link for Aqua Culture but have not been able to find one, so if anyone has had experience with them, please do tell.

Jebo i've heard of, and from what i've read they are OK. Any other comments on them?

Last edited:

br553

AC Members
Sep 27, 2006
I'm pretty sure Aquaculture is a store brand sold only at Wallmart. The hood itself is actually made by Marineland. Several years ago, I had 2 of the Aquaculture 10gallon starter kits (tanks made by AllGlass, hood and filter by Marineland) and they were problem free except the heater on one quit working shortly afterwards.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
You could look for a Perfecto (Perfect-a-Light) Incandescent hood, and replace the incandescent bulbs with screw-in fluorescent bulbs...it's what I did for my planted 10 gallon. They're actually $20 new from Petsmart, so I imagine you could get it cheaper used. It will take up to 2 25 watt bulbs for a total of 50 watts. That will give you some option for light loving plants. You can go with lower wattage bulbs as well, I'm using 2 10 watts. The bulbs are protected by a strip of plexiglass as well, just like on fluorescent hoods. I doubt the single strip light fluorescent hoods will be as flexible with wattage.

Last edited:

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I think you would be ok with either one...shoot for the best price

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
thanks for the info guys. webcricket, that sounds like a pretty good idea. i'll probably have to spend extra on replacing the incandescent bulbs anyways so i don't know it that will be viable, although it is better in terms of wattage. im probably not going to have a huge variety of plants though, probably some java ferns for the bettas to swim through and hide and some java moss for them to rest on.

if both hoods look good, i'll see which one i can bid on for a lower price.

also, whats the difference between a recessed hood and a standard one? it looks like the only thing different is in the size, though i am confused by this. i want to be sure that the hood will rest on the inside lip of my All-Glass Aquarium frame and not on top of it. (not sure if different standards with each company)

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
The recessed still rests on the lip of the tank, it has a ledge that will sit on that lip. If you're 10 gallon is the regular AGA 20", any 20" hood will fit.

With the Perfecto hood, the screw-in fluorescent replacement bulbs are cheap and easy to find. I got mine in a 2 pack from Wal-Mart in the home lighting section for $8.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
thanks for clearing that up. hopefully the bids on the hood won't top out at $20-30 with shipping, or else i'll just buy the incandescent hood with a 2 pack fluorescent bulbs.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
petsmart has a ten gal hood for $9.99,but it doesnt come with lights,you would have to print thier page out and bring it to the store.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
if your referring to the AGA full hoods, that it the current one im using (came with the 10G starter kit when i bought it last year). im looking to purchase a deluxe hood because they have a full hinged door, which i'll need in order to feed the three seperate betta compartments. the small feeding door on the full hoods make it hard for me to feed 2 bettas let alone three.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store