anemone in a nano reef?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
could i keep any kind of anemone in a 10gallon nano reef setup?

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
no

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Hehe....to piggy back on Ghost Knife's comment, anemones generally don't do well in captivity. On average, most anemones live about 1/80th of there actual lifespan in a tank. You need a lot of light and a large, established tank. Most die within 6 months....some folks think they are doing great if they can keep them for several years...marine biologists now have determined that they live for decades, even a century in the wild. Don't buy them..if demand drops, they won't be sold and they will be left in the wild where they belong. Its selfish and pointless. Same goes for many fish and inverts, reptiles, etc. that should never show up in stores.

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
i saw an anenome on liveaquaria.com that said it requires low lighting and is very small and was suggested for a 20 gallon tank. it was called a tube anemone, would that work?

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
No, it will outgrow your tank. anenome dont stunt to my knowlege. If your just beginning... stay away from them

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
k, thanks for help guys

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
no it won't work it will get way to big as g.k. has said. It's not a clown host and it wouldn't do well in there at all. What about some xenia or clove polyps? You could also do shrooms,ricordia, etc. Anemones are great critters but, they are pretty fragile. I'd get some practice maintaining stability before attempting one of the more fragile critters.
hth
Max.
A link for more information http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53000

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
my GBTA is outgrowing my 65gallon tank... I only feed it once a week now, even if it fits in the tank... it could reach out and sting things around it (which in my case is no good).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store