Will I be overstocked?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FaFaFooey

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
San Diego
Right now I have 10 assorted Platies, 10 Sterba Cory's, 1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami in my 70g tall. I have a few pieces of Driftwood and multiple fake plants.

I ordered 6 Female Dwarfs, and was going to pick up 2 more Males giving me a total 9 Gouramis in my tank. Will these 29 fish be overstocking, or close to it? If not, could I get any recommendations of some other fish I could put in? Do I go with more Platies? Do I go with a smaller Pleco? How about snails, crabs...any of those kind of species?

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hello,

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you have a little room left. Some of the other fish that would be good for your tank would be another kind of Cory like Schwartz's, Neons, and maybe some Rams or Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid.

Cory Lover

DarkEntity

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Glasgow (ish) Scotland
Since the tank is a tall and not a long, id think you were full as it is. Remeber that a tall has substantially less water surface area for the fish.

FaFaFooey

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
San Diego
DarkEntity said:
Since the tank is a tall and not a long, id think you were full as it is. Remeber that a tall has substantially less water surface area for the fish.

Fair enough, I wanted to make sure I wasn't overdoing it.

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
I would say you could make your cory shoal a bit biger maybe add four more with no problems. Some sort of mid water fish would probably be ok too because right now most of your fish a top water. Maybe 5 or 6 blood fin tetra's or flame tetra'a would look nice in the mid water collum. Even some Neons would look nice.

FaFaFooey

AC Members
Aug 27, 2006
San Diego
If I can add to the Cory population that would be great cause I would love to have a couple Pandas.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
what are the dimensions of the tank? what filtration do you have? what is your water change schedule? all these are very important when determining stocking limits. you dont really need to add any fish, at least not platies, the platies in there will do that for you. more cories would be fine, and if needed algae eating plecos would be fine (as in not common pleco, but bristlenose or something like that).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store