Chinese algae eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

marlboro

Happy fish guy
Jul 29, 2006
Marlborough, Mass.
My LFS told me today that they don't sell Chinese algae eaters because they eventually get too big and they stop eating algae and start eating the slime coating on other fish.
The "too big" part I"ll accept, but I never heard the slime coat part. Anybody got an opinion/knowledge they'd care to share?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
they do start to eat the slime coat, and often the scales on the fish too.
they like to latch onto tall bodied fish like angels, discus, bose. rainbows, etc. that have alot of area for them to eat, opposed to something like a platy or swordtail, as they are pretty slender.

bottom line- they get big, agressive, and eat the scales off of fish. only suitable for specimin tanks IMO

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hello,

In most cases thats probably true, but in my case it isn't. I have a four year old CAE, he's a little agressive, but never have I seen him suck on to any fish. I even have angels! The kinda weird thing about him is that he likes to hang out with the Cories, and he loves when they whisker him. Before when I had no Cories, he was a little agressive, but now, since I got Cories, he's much more peaceful! He still eats quite a bit of algae at age four.

Cory Lover

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
marlboro said:
My LFS told me today that they don't sell Chinese algae eaters because they eventually get too big and they stop eating algae and start eating the slime coating on other fish.
The "too big" part I"ll accept, but I never heard the slime coat part. Anybody got an opinion/knowledge they'd care to share?
Take good care of that LFS, a store that cares more about fish than money is very hard to find. I wish I had a place like that near me.

5TankHarmony

Trichogaster Trichopterus
Sep 6, 2006
My personal experience with the CAE: had one a little over a year, before I knew the trouble with keeping them, then one day I see it chasing around my late oranda(Socrates, R.I.P.) and see some of it's scales worn down. Long story short, the CAE didn't live very long after that. I didn't do anything intentionally, I just had a rather lucky accident, used the wrong bucket to put him in while doing a major water change. The point is, you would be better off not getting one.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Reminds me of the day I went all over the city looking for the SAE and at one store, when I asked about the SAEs the guys couldn't understand why I wouldn't just buy CAEs instead. So I told them about the reasons and they still thought I was a nut.

It's always interesting to be treated like a nut when you're correct. I always wondered how guys like Galileo felt.

:read:

marlboro

Happy fish guy
Jul 29, 2006
Marlborough, Mass.
Thanks, I consider myself having learned something. Now I gotta figure out what to do about the one I have. He's REALLY fast.

Shorgasm III

Bichir Keeper
Jun 20, 2005
again, different personalities with the fish.
i have them in 2 tanks, and the only time they get aggressive is if another fish tries to get into there cave... then they'll put on a short chase.

besides that, i havent had any problems in the 2 yrs theyve been around

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store