Vicious Clown Knifefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jtpage

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
I've lost touch with the aquarium world for a couple years now and am ready to 'dive' back in. (pardon the pun)

My last fish experience ended badly: I had had my black ghost knife fish for a few months and loved him to pieces. On an impulse I saw a Clown Knife Fish at the store and thought he was absolutely beautiful - i bought him with out doing any research, big mistake. I guess i figured they were both knife fish, they'd be fine. Not a week later i was horrified to find my black ghost without a head... and the ghost knife was bigger than the clown! I had no idea that creature could be so vicious.. he didnt even eat the ghost, just bit his head off!!

Anybody else have a bad experience with a clown knife fish? I'm thinking of purchasing another Black Ghost, but never again a Clown.

John

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
what size tank were they in?I havent had a bad experience with any clown knives yet:D

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
maybe your aquarium was too crowded. how big was it? you'd need a good 200 gallons to keep those fish together.

well, at the lfs i work at, we have a clown knife in a tank with a mated pari of oscors, and a jardini arowana (note that the jardini, and the oscors are not fully grown) the clown knife came in from a person who didnt want it anymore, and was probably mistreated. its has been very dosile, and pretty much just stays in its little corner, but the other day, i noticed it started to move around a bit. and yesterday, it actually took a shot at one of the oscors, and the arowana. so, in response to what you have asked, yeah, they can be pretty agressive, ESPECIALLY if they are crowded, which most fish in a lfs are.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
fishcatch22 said:
maybe your aquarium was too crowded. how big was it? you'd need a good 200 gallons to keep those fish together.
You cannot keep those fish together period. One is from hard alkaline water in africa, the other from soft acidic amozon water. Considering the BGK can get to over 20 inches, I doubt even a single specimine could live healthily in a 200 gallon. If you plan on getting one, dont let it suffer away in a 55. PLEASE!

try for at least a 300 gallon, in which you may be able to keep another large fish or two.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Ghost knives need 200G for one, Clowns need around 250. They are not for the beginner, i am sorry to hear that it happend.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
sumthin fishy said:
You cannot keep those fish together period. One is from hard alkaline water in africa, the other from soft acidic amozon water. Considering the BGK can get to over 20 inches, I doubt even a single specimine could live healthily in a 200 gallon. If you plan on getting one, dont let it suffer away in a 55. PLEASE!

try for at least a 300 gallon, in which you may be able to keep another large fish or two.
oh, sorry, I thought he said clown loach and the GK bit off the clowns head.... i don't know why.... anyway, you're right. and clown knifes are from S.E. asia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store