Feeder Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
I was hoping to offer some of my invertabrate loving fish something new. So I ordered 50 Ghost Shrimp at the LFS for my Midas. After that I had the thought that they might be disease carriers like most feeder fish. Can anyone offer any info on this? I'm guessing that quarantining them for a week and treating with salt first is a good idea. But is salt harmful to the shrimp?

Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The salt won't be harmful to the shrimp (used in appropriate dose, of course--about 1 tablespoon/5 gallons). The bigger threat is the water they come in. I purchase mine from Walmart (cheapest place around), and I just strain mine out of the water, rinse them with tap water, and add them in. Never had a problem, but do what you are comfortable with. Most parasites are obligates, meaning they require a specific host at each life stage, and I am not aware of any parasites that go from shrimp to fish, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Thanks OrionGirl.

Can I ask how much they are at Wal-Mart?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store