How do you catch a common pleco...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
... without causing general mayhem and disaster to the plants, etc in the tank?

Ralph is getting BIG! When I got him, I had a bad algea problem, have since learned other ways of dealing with it. Am going to turn him over to the LFS; not concerned if I get any credit or cash, just want him to go to a good home.

But how to get him out?

Too big for my nets, too big for a soda bottle trap. He's only out and about in the evenings , so chasing him down amongst the Sword plants during the day would be difficult.

Plan is to remove him, put him in a container with heater and airstone over night, then take to LFS the next day.

Ideas?

:read:

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
i thought that aerating a small container (including bags fish come in) will increase pH drastically......

man, i still have my common pleco! dang every time i look at him, i keep thinking , "tomorrow... tomorrow..."

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
grab it with your hands, put it in a cooler, and take it to the LFS. No need to over complicate it, and they're easy to catch by hand:D

aardvark1

Too many tanks are almost enough...
Sep 27, 2005
Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
I'm talkin a cooler or something good sized; Ralph is pushing 8 inches-too big for a bag!

mj20061983

AC Members
Oct 9, 2006
sumthin fishy said:
if you do the hand catch, watch the pectoral and dorsal fins. The bones are SHARP!
yeah watch the barbs in thier fins someone once told my that if you got stabed by them you could get sea rot is this true?????????

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
I think with puncture wounds like that, infection is always a huge concern. It's hard to clean out, and there are funky germs living in our tanks.

But I think by hand is your best bet, too. I wouldn't worry too much about hurting its mucus coat, as those things are hardy as a house! Yeah, just watch your hands.

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
cut the top off a milk jug making a wide opening, leaving the handle. poke holes in the bottom and sides to reduce resistance in the water. good luck.

StiffMeister

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
dont worry about damaging the fish, it can handle it. just pick it up and put it into whatever you have ready for him. dont it many times, never any problems. minor damage to slime coat isnt that much of a problem for these guys and will quickly recover.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
slime coat really isn't the issue, as long as your hands are wet before you touch the fish it won't affect the minimal slime coat that plecos have. if they even have one worth noting. the fish itself may be able to handle the more obvious and important damage of split fins or broken spines, but if the fish looks like it is in bad condition from the capture a lfs may not take it and people won't want to buy it. be careful, wear good gloves, and be firm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store