yellow tang sick need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NanoMan

reefer
Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
my yellow tang is acting weird. there is a red line from his tail to the middle of his body(on the inside).he is still eating but this is overtaking him pretty fast.it started last night.the other fish are fine.water is fine on all checks.what is going on?

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Is the red line where the normally whitish line coloration would be? Running the length of the fish starting at the tail and coming to about the end of where its guts are visible from the outside? If so, check the fish for small (about half the size of a pinhead), black spots around the back of the gills, or anywhere else on his body. If you see any, then the tang has black Ich. I had a Yellow tang develop this and die. He showed similar symptoms to what you describe.

Oriongirl says that she has treated this by lowering the specific gravity in the tank to around 1.020, and with FW baths. I have found that No-Ich Marine works very well, and it's reef safe.

Of course, your tang could have something completely different. Is it showing any other symptoms like flashing, labored breathing, or holding his fins close in to his body? Also, are you providing the tang with enough vitamin C?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Actually I think Kreblak's post was a very descent post. Otherwise it may be lateral line erosion, which tangs are prone to get. The cause of it is general unknown, though it is believed to be something along the lines of poor water quality and/or a lack of spiriluna in the diet, which tangs need a heavy amount of. What's your water parameters and feeding schedule? Sorry your tang didn't make it Kreblak.

NanoMan

reefer
Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-under 5
ph-8.3
specific gravity- 1.021

he is swimming crazy.
he has a red line inside his body starting from his tail and ending
around the middle of his body.i feed him prime reef flake/and frozen/ formula2 frozen/and brine shrimp frozen/and dried seaweed from time to time.
i am asking for help.
i will ask at WWM.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Thanks for living up to your name, nopatience. We cannot fully diagnose the condition without as much information as that for which we are asking.

If you could show us a picture, that would be great and helpful, but would you please give us a chance???

NanoMan

reefer
Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
no i believe this is my last post on this forum.
there are maybe 4 peeps who know what they are talking about and they never reply.i am tired of hearing replies from people who know less than i do.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Well, then, I am sorry that you feel that way, but perhaps you could share your vast information with others who apparently need help more than you do?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
LOL. "Know less than I do"? C'mon buddy. I'll take you out to school any day of the week on any subject you could think of. You've come in here now a few times acting likey you're hot**** and disregarding people's advice. Hey guess what...if you don't want to take the advice then don't post a question! You're getting nothing but honest advice from people trying to help. Unbelievable. This is my last post on anything that has to do with nopatience. Good riddance.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by nopatience
there are maybe 4 peeps who know what they are talking about and they never reply.
I think that that might take the illogical one out of those four, as (s)he seems to reply a lot!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store