African Dwarf Frog Permit in NJ

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
Has anyone had to fill-out/send a Permit to own ADF's wether its in NJ or anywhere else? I decided to purchase two today from PetSmart and they made me fill out a permit for each.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
We cannot advocate the breaking of laws on this site. Anyways, why would you? Its the people that break the rules that way that will get the animal outlawed altogether, and ruin it for those who actually follow the rules.

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
JoeRags3 said:
Are they strict with this law if say ohh I forgot to send it in... wink wink
Why would you do that? It doesn't cost anything does it? Even if it did why would you want to keep the frogs illegally?

Personally for something that requires a permit, I think they should make you actually get the permit before you buy the animal itself.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

I live in B.C. Canada and they don't have those laws here. It must be N.J. thing. They probably don't have those laws in Canada because its to cold for ADF to live.

Cory Lover

JoeRags3

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Millstone Township, NJ
corykid said:
why do ya even need a permit in the first place??.....for ADF's?? i do not understand what am i missing here??
Thats my point exactly! Please don't get me wrong, I don't plan on breaking the law anyway, nor do I advocate others breaking the law, if I need to get a permit to own an animal then that's fine. But I do thinks its a little silly that its now required to pay $10 annually to keep an ADF, especially when according to NJSA 23:2A-5 ADF are not listed as a species required to have a permit, African CLAWED Frogs are. I dunno maybe I just dont understand the reasoning behind the permit for a small harmless frog.

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
Ya fergot da fine print......

N.J. REGULATIONS –
Possession of Nongame & Exotic Wildlife
Subchapter 4. Nongame and Exotic Wildlife

"7:25-4.5 Additional Species
A permit shall be required for any other exotic mammals, birds,
reptiles, or amphibians, or nongame species not specifically
exempted by Section 4.4."

The language in the required permit list section also stated "...not limited to....", and adfs were not exempted in Section 4.4. That is their catch all.

I have worked on writing government regs for 20 years...sorry...they got ya... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store