Problems with Phosphates...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
Hi everyone!

I have been battling an issue with high Phosphates in my 90g now for about 2 and a half months. Initially - I thought it was an bacteria bloom, but after doing some reading (and water testing that showed my Nitrates at a near zero) I have determined that it is a problem with Phosphates (I bought an API test kit for the parameters, and they are at or well over 10ppm).

I bought some Phos Zorb - 2 cans of it (treats 55g's each). I have 2 Emperor 400's attached for the filtration, and have put the Phos Zorb pouches in the slot closest to the Biowheel and outtake area.

It's been a week - and the water is still the same.

Is Phos Zorb any good? I had heard that either it or Phos-X were the 2 best to use, but Phos-X was not available at my LFS - so thus - Phos Zorb. Am I being impatient here? Or shouldn't I have started to see some clearing after a week? Or is the fact that the pouches are in the well of my Emperor's the problem here?

Thanks in advance for any input!

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
If the phosphates were really high, the resin could be full already. Check the directions, but I believe the way to clean it is to soak it in salt water then rinse.

Be absolutely sure that there is no soap residue in the bowl you soak it in. Man, that's gonna be tough, because if you have hard water, residual traces are a given... OK, use a Zip-Loc bag or something for the soak. That'll work.

You say all parameters are are at or over 10ppm? Which ones are you referring to?

Phos-Zorb is a good product, and it does what it's supposed to.

Uh, is this a planted tank?

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
Hey there Cap!

Sorry for the vague question here.

The 10ppm is the reading I got when I did a Phosphate test using API's liquid kit. My Nitrates about 2 weeks ago were reading a near zero, and when I found that Phosphates will content for the same foods as Nitrates and even consume the Nitrates themselves was when I went and got this kit (dumbass me thinking it was a bacteria bloom).

All other majors (Ammonia and Nitrites) have been in check at near zeros most all times.

The way I prepared the pouches was just soaked them in their own jars for 10 mins - rinsed them off through my purified faucet - and put them into the Biowheel slots closest to the Biowheel themselves (to which because they do not have a frame they just sunk to the bottom of that compartment and are in that part of the filter - towards the front - cleaner area of the water going back into the tank).

Any other details you need from me - please let me know.

I was always wondering what was next once my initial cycle got finished. First it was learning all about disease, and now the time of the year where I live the use of Phosphates increases to keep pipes from freezing - I guess.

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
OK - here's the deal...

90g All-Glass Aquarium
Non-Planted
6 main fish (4 Game Fish and 2 Plecs)
Tank has been cycled since the end of July this year

Parameters:
Ammonia - 0PPM
Nitrites - 0PPM
Nitrates - 0PPM
pH - 6.6 (this is significant)
Phosphates - 2PPM (in tank)
Phosphates - 0-0.25PPM (from purified faucet)

Now - I thought for sure that the only way any Phosphates presence could take place would have been through my tap, and unless testing for Phosphates is the same as testing the pH (in that you need to let the water gas out a bit before testing), then I am not sure of their source.

Also - as you will see the pH is quite acidic (it normally is around 7.4 to 7.8 tops), but is all the way down to 6.6.

Initially - the Phosphates were at or over 10PPM which is why I went with Phos Zorb to try and clear this up, but the water is still Pea Soup green.

I did do a very small water change today (not as large as normal - normally 20g every Sunday - but only about 15g to see if the pH can come up a bit without raising too quickly.

Any advice or knowledge on why after 2 weeks this is still going on (2 weeks since the Phos Zorb went into my filters) would be great.

Thanks

P.S. 2 pouches of Phos Zorb went into each Emperor 400 2 weeks ago.

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
OK, if I am reading it right, you have had success - to a degree. The Phosphates are down from over 10ppm to 2ppm now. And the Phos-Zorb has been in there for two weeks...

Phos-Zorb is a resin that attracts and holds the phosphates. But it can only hold just so much. Then it needs to be cleaned. Sounds like this could be a good time for that...

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
Ah! That is probably the case then. I will clean them tomorrow.

Now - the water is still really Pea Soup green though - so even those the parameters have gone down, is this going to take forever to clear up?

Also - would another water change of about 20g's be ok to continue to try and get the pH back up?

Thanks Cap

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
Changing water wouldn't hurt.... since the tap water has a lower phosphate level that the tank does.

The algae bloom is a pain.... getting the phosphates down will help with that. You could also try leaving the lights off too.... The algae needs the light to live.

Once the phosphates are down, you might end up keeping at least one Phos-Zorb in the filter, otherwise every time you change water, you will be adding phosphates again... :(

IIRC you just have to soak the Phos-Zorb in brine water then rinse it.

sly2kusa

Lover of Esox
Jul 25, 2006
The strange thing about all of this is that I wonder where the Phosphates came from. I mean - the test I did directly from the purified tap in my kitchen showed they was either 0-0.25PPM. But in the tank - at first 10PPM, and now down to 2PPM.

I am going to rinse them and put them back in with a water change tomorrow, but my curiosity is - why did this all of a sudden over the past couple of months start to happen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store