Heater Recommendations for a 12 gal tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maryalice81403

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
Salinas, CA
Hi,

My plan is to purchase a Eclipse 12 for one of my bettas. I will move him up from his 3 gal. into the 12 gal. and move the other betta up from his 2 gal. to the 3 gal. and keep the 2 gal. as a hospital tank. The tanks I currently have are both Eclipse and I like the look and the ease of use so I decided to stick with that brand.

Should I get a 25 or 50 watt heater for the 12 gallon tank? How about the 3 gal.....would 25 watt be too big for it? Does anyone have a brand preference? I currently have mini heaters in both the 2 & 3 gal tanks. They work but are a pain because you can't regulate them and I have to unplug them when they get too hot, then remember to plug them back in. Also, the temp varies as much as 6-8 degrees in a day because the weather here is cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon. While both of my bettas seem happy and hungry they do have color changes and fin problems which I think may have to do with the temperature fluctuations.

I am new to fish and have already spent a bundle on these little $3.00 fish but they are family now and I want to do what's best for them so I am sure eventually they will both be in bigger tanks!

Thanks,
MaryAlice

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
For the 12 gallon, 50 or 75 watts is what you'd want - the recommendation is typically 5 watts per gallon.

On my 2 gallon betta tank I use a Hydor Theo 25 watt submersible heater and it holds a nice steady temperature in the tank of 80 degrees (my betta seems to like that temp as he builds the most bubble nests). That heater is one of the smallest I could find.

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
A good solid 50W will be alright for a 12G, but you could go with a 75W and do just as well. I use Visi-Therm stealth submersible heaters. They're all made by marineland, but distributed by ml's half a dozen subsidaries, so sometimes they have other "company" names. Great submersible heaters with a temp knob, so you can just adjust the heater until you reach the temp you want.

Officially the temp range on bettas is 68-82F. I personally only keep my breeding tanks over 80F, but that's mostly a preference thing (aka costs me too much to heat all my tanks the extra 4 degrees =P). Majority of my tanks are at 74-78F.

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
NinjaPirate said:
Majority of my tanks are at 74-78F.
me too. I'm probably a little particular in that I prefer my tanks on the colder tropical side, closer to 75. It just makes me nervous if my tanks get over 80, don't know why.

MaryAlice, you don't have to tell us about spending that much money on a $3 fish! I routinely spend MUCH more $$$ on supplies than I ever did on the fish. But as you said, they're family and I love them like my own :)

maryalice81403

AC Members
Oct 2, 2006
Salinas, CA
For 50 watts Should I Get Two 25 Watt Heaters??

Thanks for the quick responses.

I read somewhere that you should use two heaters instead of one to avoid problems. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Also read somewhere that Ebo Jager heaters were considered the best by "serious fish keepers". VisiTherm seems to be the other popular brand. Has anyone used both and have a preference?

MaryAlice

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
For a tank that small one 50w will suffice....I have used both brands...I'm switching all my tanks to visitherm stealths as time goes by and as i set up new tanks...I had one visitherm switch off and not come back on....I have only had 2 heaters stick on and cook my tanks in 38 years....both were ebo's...go figure! Have fun!

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
maryalice81403 said:
How about the 3 gal.....would 25 watt be too big for it? Does anyone have a brand preference?
I've got a Hydor Theo 25 watt heater in my 2.5g betta tank. I've never had this brand before, but so far it's great, and is holding a steady temp in my tanks. It's nice and small too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store