Pleco and salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rob_hoosier

AC Members
Mar 28, 2003
Schereville, IN
Visit site
I think I've read somewhere before that common plecos are very intolerant of salt in water. Although I have some fish (e.g. rainbows) which would probably benefit from some salt added to my tank, I'm afraid to add any because it would harm my pleco. I've had him for 7 or 8 yrs now and became very attached to my 18" monster. Can anybody comment on their experiences with plecos and salt in the water?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
A tbsp per 5 gallons shouldn't hurt him. I actually knew a guy, who still takes the trophy as to being the dumbest customer I've ever had, put a pleco in his sw 5 gallon. He said that he just followed the mixing instructions on the back of the bag, so I'm sure he only had a decently brackish tank, but nonetheless. He had it in there for a day when he came in and asked me why all of his fish were dying.

rob_hoosier

AC Members
Mar 28, 2003
Schereville, IN
Visit site
I have never used salt in any of my tanks. I don't know much about the ratios or kinds of salt to be used. Would regular table salt do it or do I need to look for something else?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
There's specific aquarium salt. There's some debate here over whether or not table salt is ok, specifically inonized salt. I'd get the aquarium salt.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Lol. Wait a sec now. I should have some disclaimer. Try adding slow if you're worried. Maybe just a tbsp per 10 gallons. Then see how he does. Give the guy some cucumber to make him feel better.

thalassic park

AC Members
Apr 3, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
Visit site
salt

Hi,
Maybe read the label of table salts. If there is Anti-caking Agent or similar don't use it on fish.

Sodium Chloride + Tanganyikan Buffer & Salt is excellent for secondary division freshwater fish.

Catfish & Tetra's(?) are primary division freshwater fish i.e entire evolution in freshwater. So they wouldn't tolerate salts well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store