Fed up!!!!! Ideas, anyone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
So, I was preparing to go to the LFS for a Dwarf Flame Gourami for my 10g. I did a 50% water change, like I do every Saturday. The water was treated with Prime, and the temp matched the tank exactly at 78. The water params are great, 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate, before the water change.

Then I went to get ready. When I came into the living room to grab my purse ALL my neon tetras were belly up. The cories were all fine, happily playing in the bubbles. I did another water test, and the params were the same, but a lower nitrate...

The bottom line is, I am DONE with neon tetras! I am sick of them dying, though I do feel terribly about them being gone.

Any suggestions for a small school of something for my 10g that is NOT a tetra?

My tank is lightly planted with a few hiding spots, and is home to 3 cories.

Thanks for the advice (and listening to me gripe :rolleyes:) )!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
harlequin rasboras have long been a favorite of mine. They did very well in my ten gallon and now do well in my twenty.

White cloud minnows.

Zebra danios (though these can sometimes be nippy.)

One thing I might suggest is reducing the water change size. You needn't change more than 30% weekly, and when you do, be very careful. In a ten gallon tank water changes are quite a major change for the fish. It sounds to me like something stressed them and killed them, so I can only assume that the water change is reponsible.

What you should do is a slow syphon method. That is where you replenish the water by putting the bucket on a high shelf or stand, and using a slow syphon fill-up by introducing the new water via airline tubing. Far less stress to the fish.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

What about a school of six Leopard, Zebra, or Spotted Danios. Very pretty fish, but like the last poster said, they can be a little nippy.

Cory Lover

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
It could have been a drastic and quick PH change if your tap is significantly different than your tank PH. My PH coming from my tap is about 7.8, while my tank stays at 7.2. With a water change as big as 50% it could have fluctuated it quickly. Did you match the temperature of the new water closely?

The Golden White Clouds are very nice fish that tolerate a wider range of temperature and water parameters. A group of small Rasboras would be nice as well!

Bitsy

Intelligent,Conservative,Beautiful
Dec 3, 2005
Jenison, MI
www.myspace.com
echoofformless said:
harlequin rasboras have long been a favorite of mine. They did very well in my ten gallon and now do well in my twenty.

White cloud minnows.

Zebra danios (though these can sometimes be nippy.)

One thing I might suggest is reducing the water change size. You needn't change more than 30% weekly, and when you do, be very careful. In a ten gallon tank water changes are quite a major change for the fish. It sounds to me like something stressed them and killed them, so I can only assume that the water change is reponsible.

What you should do is a slow syphon method. That is where you replenish the water by putting the bucket on a high shelf or stand, and using a slow syphon fill-up by introducing the new water via airline tubing. Far less stress to the fish.
I don't see anything wrong with doing a 50% water change, I do them in all of my tanks once a week with no issues. My philosophy with water changes is the more the better, your water can never be too clean.

I too have had issues with keeping neons alive, while all the rest of my fish thrive, so I gave up on them. Try some rasboras, there are quite a few types that will fit nicely in a 10g. Good luck!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
50% water change is fine especially in a small tank.

I had problems with neons..so far only 1 has lived out of 10 for me.

I decided to give black neons a shot..so far out of 10 only lost 2..the lone neon is swimming with the black neons..

they have survived three weeks in the tank now.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Neons are very sensitive to anything. One thing that they do not like and they go belly up. How about some harleqin rasboras. They are very cute. There are also brillant rasboras that are irredesent in the lights. Also very pretty. Have you given up completely on tetras? If not, try the rummynose tetras. They are beautiful when they school and they are like the canary in the coal mine with thier red noses. If something is up with the water, the color fades from thier nose rather quickly and you will know to do something like test the water.

Marinemom

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
Flagfish said:
Hatchetfish? they are not exactly schoolers like tetras, but appreciate groups.
Hatchets are definitely schooling fish, in the classic sense. They get too large for a 10 gal (2-3 inches), especially if you want to maintain a proper school of them.

shoe

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
star_rider said:
50% water change is fine especially in a small tank.
Bitsy/Star, no disrespect but 50% is quite radical especially on a 10 gallon tank. Star, perhaps your 1 out of 10 is related to 50%? :)

Joking aside, 50% is pretty high... When I ran that tank my Neon's did OK (I've upgraded to Cardinals) and I didn't do 50% water changes.

Jensen can you give us more info on your tank? Do you treat the water before or after you place it into your tank (cuz subjecting your fish to a 50% water change with nasty tap chemicals BEFORE treating the water is harsh).

Do you know the gH and pH of your water out of the tap?
And your gravel, is it neutral (non gH/pH affecting)?
Do you have rocks or other gH/pH affecting items in your tank?
Reason I ask is that Neon Tetra's prefer a slightly acid (lower pH) while your cories prefer a lightly alkaline (higher pH), therefore explaining (partially) anyway why one species lives and the other dies.

Also, there was a thread just recently posted where a change in municipality water caused a bunch of fish death.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store