New tank setup, advice on what to do with it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Hello all. Haven't been around here in a while. Feels good to be back. I need some help figuring out what I want to do with my newest tank. I found it in a local ad for sale real cheap so I decided to get it. I went to look at it and come to find out it's a 40g saltwater setup with a stand, hood, power compact lighting, 10g filter, skimmer and all the test kits/chemicals etc.. I was originally going to do a cichlid or discus tank but I think I'm finally going to try my hand at saltwater. I've been keeping planted FW setups for a few years now and understand the basic chemistry. My question is whether to go with a FO or a FOWLR setup. I want to work up to a reef setup but right now money and time constraints are holding me back. Do you think even a FOWLR setup may be over my head? Also, could you point me in the direction of some sites with good info on setup and cycling?

thx

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hello! and welcome back.
You have found such a site marine tanks by our own dorkfish http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79292
marine cycle by yours truely http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84571

I would really recommend going with fowlr they are so much easier to maintain. The live rock will do most of the work for you. I don't know if you want to spend all that much money on the live rock but, you can get some base rock and some live rock and let your tank cycle the base rock will turn to live rock soon enough. You also don't need to purchase things like live sand just use plain old sand ,"arogonite sand if you can find it check your local cement factory, home centre etc.
If you need any more advice feel free to ask!
cheers
Max

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Thanks for the advice Max! I have heard of using a mix of base and live rock. If I were to do this, how much of each should I use? Do you reccomend using a bit of live sand to introduce some of the beneficial bacteria and hitch-hikers? What would I have to add to the setup to be able to keep an anemone or two? I'd like to have a couple clowns, a goby, an angel and maybe some cardinal fish. Plus all of the little critters that come with the live rock :) . Do you think this will be feasable or is the tank too small?

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
forgot to add,

which water parameters need to be regularly monitored

I want to position the liverock against the back wall, will the fish I listed work well with that type of aquascape?

How important is the distilled or RODI water? I am on a well and use it right out of the tap for my FW setup. Aside from pH, what should I look for before using it in a SW tank?

Also, cured or uncured LR?

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Well to answer question one yes that should be fine depending on what type of angel you want of course. I wouldn't put the rock against the back of the tank. It will restrict water flow to much and cause you to have possible cyano issues etc. As far as the sand goes the bacteria from your live rock will seed it just fine,"use uncurred rock." As to the critters you'll get quite a few off of the rock and there are places on line where you can purchase more.

Your well water might be fine if it doesn't have any nitrates, phosphates, or other polutants other wise your water will end up kelly green. You only have to use a little live rock to seed your tank with bacteria but, really the more you use the better because you'll get more diverstity. I'd also get my rock from more than one source unless you are a purist. For instance some from the gulf, some from fiji etc.

Anyway hope I answered all of your questions if you have more let us know.
Max

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Thanks, you're a huge help! Is there a good place online to get the live rock? I'd rather not pay the extortion at the LFS. I've seen a lot of tanks with the "wall" of rock on the back, what is the solution for the circulation issues? Are they set a few inches forward of the back wall to let water circulate behind them? I really don't like the look of the open aquariums.

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Wrench said:
Thanks, you're a huge help! Is there a good place online to get the live rock? I'd rather not pay the extortion at the LFS. I've seen a lot of tanks with the "wall" of rock on the back, what is the solution for the circulation issues? Are they set a few inches forward of the back wall to let water circulate behind them? I really don't like the look of the open aquariums.
which water parameters need to be regularly monitored

The parameters that need to be monitored regularly are: Ph, Alk, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Salinity/Specific Gravity.
What is the solution for the circulation issues?

One possible solution are powerheads in your tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store