3 female bettas in a 10 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Auryn1026

AC Members
Aug 24, 2006
I have 3 female bettas in a ten gallon with 2 hob filters on a low output setting. I originally had 4 bettas but recently lost one due to an unknown illness that we believed to be swim bladder disease. They are in a moderately planted tank with 2 large amazons in it and various other plants like java fern on driftwood.

The water perams are always amo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, and pH 6.8. There's a little bit of an algae problem but I am trying to cut down on it by only lighting the tank for 8 hrs/day.

My question is this: The bettas seem bored and used to seem to enjoy swimming around with the tetras in the larger tank they used to be in. Should I add some company to their tank? If so, what and how many could I add? They just seemed to be so much more lively and active when they had tankmates.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. I LOVE my fish and want them to be happy.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
add more plants like java moss. they love to explore in it.

DarkEntity

AC Members
Dec 2, 2005
Glasgow (ish) Scotland
Auryn1026 said:
I have 3 female bettas in a ten gallon with 2 hob filters on a low output setting. I originally had 4 bettas but recently lost one due to an unknown illness that we believed to be swim bladder disease. They are in a moderately planted tank with 2 large amazons in it and various other plants like java fern on driftwood.

The water perams are always amo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5-10, and pH 6.8. There's a little bit of an algae problem but I am trying to cut down on it by only lighting the tank for 8 hrs/day.

My question is this: The bettas seem bored and used to seem to enjoy swimming around with the tetras in the larger tank they used to be in. Should I add some company to their tank? If so, what and how many could I add? They just seemed to be so much more lively and active when they had tankmates.

Any advice at all would be appreciated. I LOVE my fish and want them to be happy.
To remove the algae add some algae balls, stupid as it sounds a tank generally will only support one.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I have algae balls in my planted tanks, and I can tell you that they do nothing to eliminate the other algae. ;)

Algae/Marimo balls are Cladophora aegagropila, a type of hair algae. The type that forms the balls is a non-invasive cladophora.

dwarfgourami7

Steve the angelfish
Nov 13, 2006
England! uk
3 female bettas in a 10 gal. I dont think that right sure it may seem like it but you want them to be as happy as possible so get a bigger tank. At the moment they havent got much swimming space and they will be to close together all the time. I dont like it.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Bettas aren't that interested in swimming space. I feel that ten gallons is perfectly sufficient for three bettas.

However bettas, even the females, don't like living with other bettas. I would worry more about aggression than swimming space.

dwarfgourami7

Steve the angelfish
Nov 13, 2006
England! uk
Yes maybe they arn't intrested in swimming space but its nice to give them the option if they want to have a good swim. I just don't like the idea of them in a small tank all the time together. Sure they can but why does that mean we should put them in that situation?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store