chinese algae eating fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

roger1

AC Members
Oct 1, 2006
was just wondering if chinese algae eating fish are worth buying? How many should I buy for a 50 Gallon tank?

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Misnomer at work here - "chinese algae eaters" would rather rasp the scales & skin off of other fish than eat algae. They can get rather large too. I would not suggest getting any.

Snails, otos and other cats are better at algae cleaning.

kjf91004

AC Members
Jun 4, 2006
Eau Claire, WI
Some people don't have problems with them, but in my personal experience, the "eating fish" part of your title is the most representative of these fish. My CAE only ate algae for a short period of time before he decided that any fish smaller than him would taste good. I mysteriously lost 8 fish (no bodies to be found??) before it dawned on me what was happening. Once he was gone, I haven't lost any more.

If I were you, I would look for a Siamese Algae Eater instead or maybe a Otocinclus. Just look carefully and research for the difference.

Here's a small description of the differences. http://www.azgardens.com/algae_eating_fish.php

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

I really like my four year old CAE. He is mostly peaceful and loves to hang out with my Cories! He really likes when the Cories whisker him! He (Icicle) was a little agressive for the first couple of years I had him, but since I got the Cories he is quite peaceful and rarely has a fight with my Convicts. Icicle still eats a lot of algae. I would only reccomend one of them per tank, because they are very terrotorial with their own species. Also he has never sucked on to a fish.

Overall one of my favourite fish I have ever had!

Cory Lover

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

I really like my four year old CAE. He is mostly peaceful and loves to hang out with my Cories! He really likes when the Cories whisker him! He (Icicle) was a little agressive for the first couple of years I had him, but since I got the Cories he is quite peaceful and rarely has a fight with my Convicts. Icicle still eats a lot of algae. I would only reccomend one of them per tank, because they are very terrotorial with their own species. Also he has never sucked on to a fish.

Overall one of my favourite fish I have ever had!

Cory Lover
I one question: are you sure yours isn't a SAE? I once saw one of those nasty CAEs take down a full grown blue gourami in one of my dads tanks. a 50G is just big enough for one, and once they get about 8", they start eating fish and not algae IME.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
fishcatch22 said:
I one question: are you sure yours isn't a SAE? I once saw one of those nasty CAEs take down a full grown blue gourami in one of my dads tanks. a 50G is just big enough for one, and once they get about 8", they start eating fish and not algae IME.
Hi fishcatch22,

I'm a 100% sure mine is a CAE. I guess mine is just a peaceful guy.

Cory Lover

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
Cory Lover said:
Hi fishcatch22,

I'm a 100% sure mine is a CAE. I guess mine is just a peaceful guy.

Cory Lover
how big is it? a the four year mark he should be a whole 10-12" long.
here's a pic of an SAE

and heres a CAE:

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
To fishcatch22,

Why do you have to show be pics???? I already said what my fish is.

Cory Lover

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store