Filtration, FX5?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dekalb21

I cant believe he called me psycho
Oct 6, 2006
Dallas, Texas
I've been out of the hobby for awhile, and am finally able to get back into it. I've had a 55 setup for a a few months with two emperor hang'ons, but have just ordered a 240L due here a few weeks.
I'm hoping to gain some expertise and advice on what would be the proper filtration for a tank this size. I've yet to fully decide on my stocking choices and am open to cichlid suggestions. I've got convicts and a severum in my 55, and have been thinking along similar lines but would also like discus, rams, planted tank, anybody?!
Anyway, I was planning on a fluval fx5, and I have an extra emperor (model i can't remember) one size below the dual bio wheel I believe, accompanied with 2 to 3 powerheads for added flow. sufficient? is the fx5 no good, does a combo that is cheaper do the same?

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I am setting up a 110g tank in the next several weeks, and I too have been researching the fx5....given what I have found out, I am going to buy one. I have heard virtually no negative info. on reviews, and I have always been happy with the performance of my other Fluval filters. However, it might not be the best choice for Discus, unless the current can be controlled...you may want to discuss this with the discus experts here at AC. Enjoy!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
If my calculations are correct the 240L is about 63 US gallons. I am not familiar with the fluval fx5 so I can't comment on that filter. Is it a canister filter? If it is, then it will probably be just fine since for a tank that size I would definetly recommend a canister filteration system for it. Another excellent filter to consider are the eheims. I have them running on two of my aquariums and I love them. Thier performance is outstanding and cannot be beat. They are also super quiet. They do tend to be a little pricey though. If you can swing it I would definetly go with one or two of them. As far as the other emperor filter there is no reason why you can't run that filter in addition to the canister filter that you choose for this new tank. Lots of filteration equals happy tank.

If you want to do a discus tank with some rams I think that would be absolutely beautiful and you would have an awsome tank. Wheather or not it is planted depends on the discus that you choose. Juvie discus need to be in a bare bottom tank that is not planted because they need to be fed several times a day and the cleanup is just that much easier if there is no substrate. Juvie discus tend to waste away in a planted aquarium. If you want substrate and a planted tank with your discus, then you need to buy sub-adult or adult discus for the tank. They can be fed once or twice a day and be just fine. I have a fully planted aquarium with my discus and it is so mesmerizing to watch at night after a long day. Do not let anyone tell you that a planted aquarium is not possible with discus because it is. You just have to have adult discus. I would also recommend buying your discus from a local breeder since the discus are of superior quality from a breeder and they will have been taken care of much better. They also tend to be cheaper then at the LFS. Do buy the discus and add them all at the same time since they are schooling fish and will establish a pecking order. Also make sure that the tank is fully cycled before adding the discus since they are sensitive fish and do not withstand the rigors of cycling.Maybe add some rams or a small school of tetras first before adding the discus. Discus like super clean pristine water so a lot of water changes are in your future if you do decide to go with the discus. Many people will tell you that discus need daily water changes of 80-100%. THIS IS NOT TRUE. I do 20% water changes five times a week and my discus are happy, healthy, and thriving. However, if there is the slightest hint of ammonia or nitrite in your water, do a water change ASAP. Powerheads...Hmmm...well in a fish only tank it might be O.K with the discus if it is not too strong but in a planted aquarium then I would not use any of the powerheads since the plants require some but very little surface aggitation. Too much and thier co2 gets gassed off and they cannot use it.

Anyways I hope this helps.

Marinemom

Last edited:

dekalb21

I cant believe he called me psycho
Oct 6, 2006
Dallas, Texas
Yofishboy - I've been researching it a bunch as well, seems like it would be a great choice and sources claim it is sufficient for a 400 gallon tank @ 925gph. After marinemoms very helpful info on discus I may not be as compelled at this point to get them. I appreciate your thoughts, although they have caused me to question if a single fx5 will be enough for a 240 gallon Long though, since you are plannning for a 110, are you going for overkill or are my plans no bueno?

Marinemom - Thanks so much for that info! I meant 240 gal Long btw. :)
I knew that Discus would be work but yikes, 48 gallons to change 5 times a week, I guess it wouldn't really take too long...but, for now I think I may start with the rams and tetra combo, although I feel stuck in my decision to go another direction now, considering the investment in fish and heavy lifting I may have to think on that. I do love my severums and convicts, but need some color without having monsters in there. Cheers, and it did help, thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store