Wondering about pH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spidergrrrl

AC Members
Oct 27, 2006
Brea, CA
www.studiogecko.com
I have a fairly new 12 gallon tank that is currently housing plants, one male betta and five dwarf cories. Decorations include some rock and a small piece of driftwood. The pH is fairly high - about 7.6. Does pH shift upward or downward over time? The water in this tank is already leaning towards the hard side and am wondering if this will eventually harm the fish.

I do know that it's easier to harden rather than soften water. Do I need to be worried?

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
your pH is not high at all. as long as it's stable, leave it alone.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Test your tap water pH - let a cup of water sit overnight and test it after 24 hours - what is that pH?

My tap and tank pH are both 7.4-7.6 and my fish thrive. As liv2padl stated - it's better to be stable than try to adjust things.

If your seeing a huge difference between your tap and tank, there could be something in the tank altering the pH.

CaptnDan

AC Members
Oct 21, 2004
Panama City, FL
www.myspace.com
Spidergrrrl said:
I have a fairly new 12 gallon tank that is currently housing plants, one male betta and five dwarf cories. Decorations include some rock and a small piece of driftwood. The pH is fairly high - about 7.6. Does pH shift upward or downward over time? The water in this tank is already leaning towards the hard side and am wondering if this will eventually harm the fish.

I do know that it's easier to harden rather than soften water. Do I need to be worried?
If anything in the tank is altering the pH, I would say the rock would be the prime suspect, however, as webcricket pointed out, your tap water's true pH could easily be that high.

liv2padl is right on the mark too.... I'd rather have a pH of 8.2 and stable than try to alter it and get fluctuations.

There is really no need to worry about it. Many times we ask people for the parameters of a tank when trying to diagnose a problem, but generally speaking, one parameter alone doesn't tell much - it's the big picture we're after.

And yes, you are right, it's very easy to add hardness to water - taking it out is another matter altogether.

As more and more generations of fish are raised in tanks, the need to duplicate pH and hardness conditions in the wild become less important.

Kudos to you for testing your water, and major kudos for asking first, before doing something like adding some snake oil junk to change the pH. :thm: :thm: :thm:

Spidergrrrl

AC Members
Oct 27, 2006
Brea, CA
www.studiogecko.com
The water has been consistently testing at 7.6 for a few weeks now. I know the water is hard where I live, though - we get hard water buildup on our faucets. The fish seem to be fine, and the plants are doing okay too, so I'll just leave well enough alone.

Thanks for your input, everyone. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store