Parrot Cichlid, Unknown Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
I purchased a Red Parrot Cichlid today, which is about 4.5" long. It will repeatedly turn onto its side and brush along the bottom of the tank, while on its side. It doesn't do this over large amounts of the tank bottom, only very quickly. Does anyone know how this can be interpreted?

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
As an update I have noticed two slight black streaks or blotches on the top/center of my Parrot Cichlid and I believe it may have contracted Black Spot Disease. Luckily this is a disease that can only be contracted by Parrot Cichlids, so none of my other fish are in any sort of danger. According to websites I've visited there really are no symptom associtated with this disease. Although my fish will continually rub its lower belly along the side of the glass, but not on anything that is hard or sharp. Its almost as though its trying to get something off it, however I haven't noticed anything on its belly. Does anyone know what sort of meds to use and has anyone had experience with this?

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Originally posted by paradigmcubed
As an update I have noticed two slight black streaks or blotches on the top/center of my Parrot Cichlid and I believe it may have contracted Black Spot Disease... Although my fish will continually rub its lower belly along the side of the glass, but not on anything that is hard or sharp. Its almost as though its trying to get something off it, however I haven't noticed anything on its belly. Does anyone know what sort of meds to use and has anyone had experience with this?

Blood Parrots get black spots when they are stressed, sometimes by poor water conditions or if they have some kind of parasite or infection (I have also heard of them getting the black spots for a short time when breeding but have not myself seen this). The black spots themselves aren't really a disease for BP but a color-reaction to stress. Keep your eyes on your BP it may sprout ich spots in the near future or perhaps has anchorworm or some such parasite. You could treat your tank with some kind of anti-parasitic medication, personally I would suggest Mardel's Coppersafe (unless you have snails or other invertebrates).

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Okay, I'll think about that. I did find a website which stated there was a disease called Black Spot Disease, however they stated no symptoms.
Trust me it isn't a disease, I have seen my Blood Parrots form black spots due to having been frightened by something only to have the spots disappear in a day or so.

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
One more question.. Since buying this Parrot Cichlid he hasn't eaten at all. That was 4 days ago. I've tried a lot including Tropical Flakes, Cichlid Pellets and live food. What do you feed yours? Maybe he's just adjusting and needs a little more time to settle down.

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
One more question.. Since buying this Parrot Cichlid he hasn't eaten at all. That was 4 days ago. I've tried a lot including Tropical Flakes, Cichlid Pellets and live food. What do you feed yours? Maybe he's just adjusting and needs a little more time to settle down.

That doesn't sound good. Even when my Blood Parrots were hiding a lot the first month they were in my tank they came out to eat. Mine eat just about anything, I feed them mixed flakes, small cichlid pellets, blood worms, tubifex worms, crushed up dried krill.

paradigmcubed

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
Visit site
I'll give him two more days and then if she still isn't eating I guess I may have to return her, but I'd hate to do that. She still continues to rub herself against the sides of the tank, however not as often. She also literally rams into the thermometer with her belly. I don't know if it's the red light, or the place its in and I may try moving it. It is 80 degress in the tank, which is within their paramaters. I'll just keep on trying.

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
I'll give him two more days and then if she still isn't eating I guess I may have to return her, but I'd hate to do that. She still continues to rub herself against the sides of the tank, however not as often. She also literally rams into the thermometer with her belly. I don't know if it's the red light, or the place its in and I may try moving it. It is 80 degress in the tank, which is within their paramaters. I'll just keep on trying.

Have you tried medicating it for parasites and perhaps even with antibiotics to ward off any secondary infections?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store