How often should I clean the refugium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
My refugium looks like an unmaintained fish tank. I have tons of micro and macro algae in there. I know that's the reason I have it, but when do I clean it out and how much of the algae do I remove to make it still effective? Also can I remove caulerpa incorrectly enough to release something into the water and start problems in the main tank? What does it mean when the caluerpa goes asexual if that's the right term?
Thanks,
Tom

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Trim a couple of inches off the calupera if it's been a while since you've touched it. I take about an inch a week out of mine. You don't want it to get large enough to reproduce or your whole tank will look like your fuge. Again I work on mine about once a week.
hth
max

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I also have some red slime and green slime in there. Don't know if that's any indication of trouble.
I'll trim some today. Thanks.

Also, is there a specific kind of caulerpa\macro that works best in a refugium? I have racemosa, the grape type, and a dark green jagged type of caulerpa and a red branch type.
Thanks,
Tom
p.s. Max, should I start a new thread when I have additional questions or is it o.k. to add on to existing ones?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Add away man but, if it's important or you don't get a speedy reply send me a pm I miss things sometimes. I'd use chaeto morpha it's much less likely to reproduce in tank causing it to look like split pea soup. If you keep the algae trimmed it should reduce the possiblitly of it happening.

The cyano is caused usually be reduced water flow in an area if, it spreads to your main tank worry. You might me able to do something about by a simple water flow adjustment.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Thanks Max, I appreciate the help.

I'm not sure I can increase the flow in the refugium for fear of a flood. The overflow siphon barely keeps up with the max 600. Can I just clean up the cyano or will that release something into the main tank? In all the years, I've never been this void of algae (main tank) in any type to the detriment of my cleaner crew, I'm afraid. Lawnmower blennie, 50 astreas and my two tangs. The Regal will eat anything, but the yellow mainly dined on the hair algae. I've got a clip in there with some nice macro, but he or the blennie won't touch it.

Regards,
Tom

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Try nori it's actually made up of pressed sheets of algae or spirulina tablets. That might entice some of your hungry vegans to eat a little. Also formula 2 and other frozen marine algae might also entice them you might have to try a couple of different things and a variety is best anyway. You'll have to feed them if all of your algae goes away obviously

Yeah just remove the cyano from the tank it shouldn't really cause any issues. Hope this helps and keep us posted. Your vegatarian fish need a pretty constant supply of food you'll have to experiment a bit maybe.
hth
Max

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I would add a powerhead, but it's too small for one. I'm still waiting for the little critters to appear. Might have to seed it with some live sand from a lfs.

I've heard of Nori, but don't know where to get it. I'll buy some formula 2 tomorrow. Good suggestion and don't know why I didn't think of it. My fish love the flake food.

Thanks,
Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store