Flacid Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Victorio

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
My 100 Gallon marine tank has been up and running for quite some time now, i purchased a small anemone about 2 weeks back not sure on brand (resembles a sebae) but he is lightish blue/white in colour, everything looked well in the LFS, all tentacles were out and looked strong, was attached, and when the clerk took it out he reacted and contracted. also note my water parameters are all in range.

Hes been in my tank for almost 3 weeks now, he moved to his spot himself after i put him in (im saying him cause i dont know what or who he is). I find when i turn the lights off in the tank he comes out in full bloom and looks great and healthy, i feed him a bit of shrimp on average once a week and he eats and takes down the food.

But when i have the lights on hes just limp like a noodle and goes all small and flacid, whats up with him. Hes on the bottom dug into the sand. Any suggestions as to why he does this.
Thanks and much appreciated.
xxx

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
whats your lighting tank paramiters for refrence and any pics? Anen's are delicate critters and require stable paramiters to flourish. they dont take well to PH upheval. also how was it taken from the tank? if your LFS was rough with it that could be the problem. I Hope yours is OK

Victorio

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Hey, thanks again for the responce. Made sure the guys scooped it out from under the sand he was in, he was very gentle with him and didnt tear and do anything else that would damage him.

Im just wondering why he looks great when the lights are off, will try and get a pic of both but cant promise. My brother knows all the lighting details, they are all fine as i have soft corals which are flourishing.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
do you know the exact species? The person to ask is Max. I'm guessing here.. but it still could have been damaged. usually nem's ancor to the bottom glass. Mine does all the time.

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
saying that your soft corals are flourishing isn't an endorsement of the light for an anemone as they are polar opposites in their requirements. Anemones require very high light preferably metal halides.......positioning them is very important also. I think it would be in your best interest to get a picture posted as this anemone could possibly be bleached (having lost it's zoanthelle) if so it may be doomed for a long slow death. Sorry, but a lot of these are sold and they are already checking out. A picture would help along with a positive ID.....as different anemones have different requirements.....

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It's swelling up at night because it is filter feeding. Lorna is correct please post a pic if you can or give the most detailed desciption that you can.
thanks
Max

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store