Sick Oscar, what to do next?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Delco

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice on my other thread! I'm now more convinced that he's just sick and so I did a 50% water change last night b/c I found that my Nitrates were too high, I think 80 or so (It is so hard to tell by matching colors). I had been adding melafix for 4 days and no change to his color or habits. I did notice him shaking his head vigorously and then dart a couple times yesterday, which was new. Most of the time he just floats near the top of the tank and his color seems very pale.

Another question...Has anyone had any issues with sick fish after using algae destroyer? That is the only thing that I used in the tank recently that I hadn't used in a while. I used it a few weeks ago and it dawned on me yesterday that this may be the reason he's sick.

neonmadness

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
what size tank is he in, what are his tankmates and how big is he? Id continue to do 50% water changes every day.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
neonmadness said:
what size tank is he in, what are his tankmates and how big is he? Id continue to do 50% water changes every day.
probably the best course of action.
algae destroyers active ingredients are algicides(aqautic herbicides).
they say not harmful to fish bu t I'm not certain the fish used in the study were tropical fish in aquariums.
I'm not sure but ,believe you need to be careful on dosing.
the interesting thing about these algicieds is they may not be very effective on many algaes..and a lot of folks believe the algicide will cause some irritation to fish.

heed the advice and do water changes and monitor your Oscar.

Delco

AC Members
Dec 6, 2002
NJ
Visit site
He's in a 90 gal

I just did about a 30% water change and added the proper amount of melafix. I guess now I just wait and maybe another water change on Sunday and I'll keep dosing with melafix. What temp should I keep the tank at?

cyberbeer65

Scratch Glass!
Jan 29, 2005
Metro Detroit
www.myspace.com
Camera Used
Galaxy S10 Plus
Personally,I never use any chemicals,of any kind,in any of my tanks.

Except a quality dechlorinator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store