Shroom Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Heyya folks. I was curious about the condition of my mushrooms and one bullseye. I put up the 96 w PC last night and today they were starting to curl around the edges. I figured it was because of too much light so I moved them from 6" from the light like they were before to 8"-12". I moved the bullseye about 9" away and they unfolded. Was it just because of too much light? And also, what should and how often should I be feeding these guys, on top of the Kent marine snow stuff I put in there now every few days? Thanks alot.

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Shrooms take a while to adjust to bright lights. It's always a good philosophy to lower corals in the tank when you upgrade the intensity of lights. Take a few days to a few weeks to gradually elevate the corals back up to their former level if you want to keep them there and watch how they react.

I wouldn't worry about feeding most shrooms, although the bullseye might take flaked shrimp or other meaty foods. Trace elements in the water are more important, especially iodine.

Ken b

AC Members
Mar 20, 1999
Wakefield, Ma.
One provisio with regard to Iodide additions.

My school of thought is that there is enough iodide in the foods that are introduced to the tank. Any further additions would be overkill IMHO.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Thanks guys. Will do. I already add trace elements to the tank. I was thinking about doing the Coral Vite (I like Kent) once my Trace Elements run out, but that'll probably be at least 6 months down the road.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Alright I have another question. Is it normal for the shrooms to shrivel when the lights go out? And one of mine recently died...maybe. It turned white when I got home last night and when i went to bed it had regained it's blue color but was reeeeeally small and hadn't shriveled but had retracting into a hole in the rock. The other one's (4 or 5, I think they sprouted a baby) are doing fine. Any ideas? Ca is at around 400ppm. pH is around 8.2. Water is very hard, though I haven't tested it in about a week. Nitrates around 10 ppm. I through Micro Vert in there a couple of times a week and supplement with Trace Elements. Thanks for any info.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Our shrooms will sometimes curl up a bit, and it always reminds me of a toddler who's 'thinking really hard'. Usually they are back to normal the next day. The do look pretty sad after lights out--all curled and shrunken up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store