ANEMONES food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

andynguyenandy

AC Members
Mar 19, 2003
Visit site
Do anemones really need chemicals like iodine and stuff? And will anemones be okay with the symbiotic algae s its food source or do you have to feed it something else once in a while?

rayjay

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
www.angelfire.com
Dr. Shimek believes they should be fed, but in my case, I purchased a Sebae anemone when I first started just ove r9 yrs ago and I don't feed mine. I don't add strontium, iodine or any other trace elements.
I feed the fish heavily and the anemone can get some from the water stream and probably gets zooplankton from the water stream.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I feed my clownfish brine shrimp and I noticed that the anenome will grab hold of any brine shrimp them if they contact the tentacles. Also if you have clownfish, they should (not always) feed the anenome.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I have some hitchhiking anenomes (still trying to I.D.) and they quickly grab any of the small particles I feed my fish frozen. Not to just repeat Kit's post though, I through in some Kent Micro-Vert mix every few days and they seem to react (it's also for my sponges and I think the mushrooms like it). you may want to look into some form of marine-snow, depending on what they are and how big they are (the anenomes). And I believe that the clown doesn't intentionally feed the anenome, they just store food there and the anenome takes advantage of the situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store