Got a free purple tang... popeye?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
the catch was that he had popeye and now only has one eye. If I didn't take him the lfs said they were going to kill him, I hate the look of his... socket and I don't particularly care for him as a fish either but I couldn't let the place kill him. The area around the socket is white and swollen, will this clear up and somehow become a little less disgusting? I regret bringing him home... but I hear it is not contagious.

Last edited:

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
the area around the socket looks all inflamed... is it infected? if it's infected should I let it resolve on its own? (I don't know if I can catch it)

Also they said they would have sold him for $150... he's like 6" long and I have read that he needs 100 gallons but I have also read 60 gallons is okay, my tank is 65...

All in all do you think I got a good deal? Ha

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I think eventually this will heal itself as far as the socket is concerned. I have a purple tang in my 60 gallon reef and he is doing just fine. His colors are amazing and he is the boss of the tank. I think the secret to keeping a purple tang in a tank this size is not to overcrowd him. I just have him in my 60 along with a gold striped maroon clownfish and a six line wrasse. Of course there are some inverts as well and some corals. In time I think he will be just fine and you will be happy that you have him. Just keep an eye on him and the injured socket and he should do just fine.

Marinemom

Liz

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
My rockwork isn't set up for a fish as big as him, he's probably about 6" across... the only place where he can swim is out in the open and behind the rockwork. His only companion in there is an angler fish, I'm hoping the tang wont have much impact on maintenance, will he contribute a big bioload?

If anyone wants him, I'll try shipping him, I'll pay for shipping costs

Last edited:

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Tangs are big pooping machines. They can add to the bio-load considerably. They like to graze all day on algae so it is a good idea to supplement his diet with nori seaweed that you can buy at any Asian shop or the Asian section of most grocery stores.

Marinemom

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
i don't know why you are saying that you don't have enough room in your 65 for this tang. i think it will do and you only have another fish in there. this tang is the most agressive of all tangs and the rare one too, from what i've read. also from what you described, you have perfact kind of surrounding for this fish, because they love to have a little bit of open space to run and rocks to hide. in case if nobody takes him, don't put him to sleep, just keep him. for now you probably need to medicate him to bring inflamation down. i wouldn't mind him, but i already have a tang, and on top of that talkng about no room...i'm afraid to say anything so i don't get reported to a tang police :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store