Kissing gouramis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

girl920

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I have a kissing gourami that I bought a few days ago. He seems to be swimming around normally and all, but feeding seems to be a problem. When I feed my tank, all my barbs crowd around greedily and gobble up the food. My blue gouramis were shy at first, but they soon gave the barbs a run for their money, and now they go up and gobble just as fast. The kissing gourami eithre ignores the food entirely, or he goes up to the area and kisses the surface, like he's checking it out. By the time he's done this, the food is gone. Every time. I don't want to overfeed my other fish while trying to get at him. Help?

I have the kisser plus 6 tiger barbs, 5 gold barbs, 2 blue gouramis, 4 corys, and 1 synodontis catfish. Are these incompatible with the kisser? I've had kisisng gouramis in the past (they're my favorite fish, actually), and I don't remember this being a problem. I keep reading that kissers are really aggressive, but all the ones I've ever had were pretty shy!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Gouramis, like all labyrinth fish, never seem to have a single personality type. There are some who are so mean that they beat whole tanks into death or submission...and others who are so nice they can live with anyone.

I would have actually worried more about the barbs in your tank than anybody else. Though keeping three larger species gouramis together is something I would never have even considered doing. But...if they have been living together in that tank for a long time with no signs of trouble, by all means enjoy them as they are.

To address the food issue - how long has this been going on? Is it long enough that you might think there is a disease or the fish has begun to waste away? He or she might be eating scraps or when you're not looking.

If you think it's a shyness issue, see if sinking pellets might help. Distract the faster fish with the normal food and then aim some sinking pellets to fall into the gourami's sights. See what happens.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
first, they are labled agressive because two males will fight, and fight, and fight.

what size if your tank? as you probably know, kissing gouramis get to around a foot long, and need at least a 75 gallon tank.

i would also either move the blues or the kissing gourami, otheriwse there is going to be a war in your tank. as soon as everyone is settled in, they are going to fight it out. im surprised the blues didnt attack the kissing gourami right when you put it in.

im not so worried about the tiger barbs with the kissing gourami, because they dont have any long fins like the blues' feelers.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Ah, I'm guilty of overlooking the fact that it was purchased a few days ago. Yikes. I was thinking they had been in the tank together for a long time.

Yes, I would second the idea of not having them in that tank together. Very risky...I'd say a good 80% chance of trouble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store