red sea marine salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
i've bought a pack of red sea marine salt today, and was wondering how much salt i should had a create a brackish environment for my guppies. does 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon sounds fine? i have no hydrometer so i cannot measure the specific gravity.

thanks.

Sir Pufferfish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2005
UK
Usually brackish is 1 teaspoon per 1 litre but if its just for guppies, 1 teaspoon for 1 gallon is fine.
just make sure you slowly raise levels over a period of time.

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
would guppies be fine with 1 teaspoon to 1 litre? what SG does that roughly translates to?

also, this is how i do my water changes: i add water to a small container, add dechlorinator and salt, and mix with air pump. the next day, i vacuum the gravel, draining around 3 gallons to a bucket. then i attach a hose from the faucet to my tank, add dechlorinator to tank (in excess), add water from the faucet, and at the same time, add the salt water from the previous day. it's sorta like using python gravel vacum, just the draining and adding of water is done by two different equipment. the tank is 20 gallon, and i change water 2 times a week (on sat and sun).

is this water changing procedure fine?

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
i have been using a brand of marine sea salt, but the store had stopped stocking it, so i have to switch to another brand of marine salt. for the previous salt, i added 1 teaspoon to 1 gallon to keep tailrot away, which worked well. i suppose the 'concentration' of the previous salt is different from red sea salt, as after 2 water changes with red sea salt, my guppies immediately showed signs of tailrot. so i suppose my SG had been lowered by the red sea salt, as whenever i tried to lower the SG of the tank, tailrot showed up immediately. i've tried almost EVERYTHING to eradicate tailrot, including seachem paraguard, the green medication (can't remember the chemical name), salt dips. the only things i have not tried is snipping off the infected part of the tail or applying potassium permanganate/hydrogen peroxide on the infected parts, which is not practical for small fishes(< 1 inch). someone suggested that this may be a genetic disorder, and that there is no way to completely eradicate it, so i'm using salt to suppress it.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Did you read that salt article I linked you to? For FW fish (which guppies are) salt should only be used medicinal purposes & table salt will do. You need to find the cause of the tail rot & not constantly add unnessary salt to your tank. They shouldn't need salt all the time. How many fish are in how large a tank? Is there an aggressive fish nipping at their tails? How much & how often do you change their water? Generally, a healthy tank, has healthy fish that never get diseases. The key to a healthy tank in my book, is water changes, water changes, water changes! I do 50-80% on all my FW tanks weekly.

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
guppies can and will live in brackish waters. breeders have used salt with their guppies with great results. i change around 30-50% of the water each week. it's a guppies only tank. nitrates are kept below 20 ppm. the thing is, only those with flowery and big tailfin get tailrot, and are very prone to it. those with those 'plastic' and small tailfins rarely get tailrot. it is a 20 gallon with 8 small guppies.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i have had guppies in my tanks and never had tailrot- and i didnt add any salt, and they lived fine.

the point is that they are tropical fish and dont need salt of any kind. they could be getting tail rot because you have them out of freshwater and their systems are weakening.

Last edited:

tanhql

I LOVE my F8 puffer!
Nov 10, 2006
Singapore
jm1212 said:
i have had guppies in my tanks and never had tailrot- and i didnt add any salt, and they lived fine.

the point is that they are tropical fish and dont need salt of any kind. they could be getting tail rot because you have them out of freshwater and their systems are weakening.
they are fry i have gotten from two females, and they have lived in brackish environment since birth. they have gotten used to the salt. even if the salt affected them, shouldn't all of them get tailrot? and if their health deteriorated, they showed it by developing tailrot? what about other more serious diseases?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store