Goldfish ill- cloudy eyes & mouth open

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

xtremegraphics

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
Hello all, I really need some help. Yesterday I noticed my goldfish had cloudy eyes and its mouth stays open. I have been watching it very closely and this morning still no change. I have not done anything different to the tank. I looked very closely at it and there is no rock in his mouth. It tries to eat sucks it in but pushes the food right back out. There is a slight bump on the underneath part of its mouth that wasn't there before--can't see anything in mouth that caused the bump. My son got his 2 goldfish for his 6th birthday and we have had them now for 1 year and 7 months. We are attached to them- didn't realize how much till spotty got sick. If anyone can please tell me what is wrong with our fish and how to cure him---you will make us all very happy. Thanks in advance.

xtremegraphics

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
I have a 10 gal tank, big filter, change water weekly 50%. I have air supply to tank. My other goldfish is fine-still very active, just the one is sick. Spotty still swims around-not as active as it use to be but still moves around. No fake plants in tank just a little castle for the air. Tried to add other objects but they didn't like it would root them up so I took it all out.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
you're going to need a bigger tank for them. The confined space stresses as well as stunts goldies quickly. What kind of goldies are they? If you're not sure, are they the round bodied ones with the triple tails or the basic fish shaped ones?

The difference in goldies makes a big difference to the size tank they need. Have you checked the parameters of the tank? As it is now, I would move to changing the water more often as it seems he may be suffering due to the water quality.

xtremegraphics

AC Members
Nov 14, 2006
i will try and get a pic in a few minutes so you can see what the problem is and maybe get some help with spotty.

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
For cloudy eye, there is always an underlying disease and it is almost always due to water quality. While you may think changing the water once a week is plenty, regardless any type of goldfish is going to need way more than that of a10 gallon tank. They secrete hormones along with ammonia and the like which all fouls the water, making them grow quicker (stunting them) and making the water toxic. Cloudy eye can be cured but by pristine pristine pristine water conditions, meaning the water most definitely needs to be change frequently and maybe even moreso because of the size of this tank.

fantail

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
scotland
If you are sure there is nothing way back in the mouth then it may have dislocated its jaw. The only thing you can do for that is take it to a vet.
Cludy eye usually clears up with water changes but i agree you are chasing your tail now as you need to upgrade to a much bigger tank.
The coloured one is a shubunkin and the other a normal goldfish which may be called a sarassa.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store