Trouble Raising Fry... :help:

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
I have been raising my guppys' fry for over a year now, and have been able to raise them to adult size.

However, recently, I haven't been saving the fry (don't want the tank to get overcrowded). When I transfered half of my fish into a seperate tank, therefore leaving more room to raise guppy fry, I decided to raise them again.

A few nights ago, before i even put the guppy breeder contraption in, I found a couple fry swimming around and throughout the plants and rocks I had a total of 12. I seperated them with a tank divider and fed them crushed up flakes and food i got from petsmart made specifically for fish fry ( Wardley- premium Small Fry -liquid food for all baby fish livebearers and egglayers)

All the conditions were fine in my tank and every fish was healthy, however they began dying!
At first when i found 2 dead the next morning, i figured that was normal since not all the fry in a batch are healthy/strong. But to my suprise later that night a third baby died! This morning i woke up and found even more dead :sad:

I don't seem to get it, I've raised fry before and I don't see anything I did differently or wrong this time, but now i only have 5 or 6 left from 12..

Can someone please help me out or give me some advice?
I really want at least 3 to survive to adulthood...

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
did you cycle the tank to which you transferred some of the fish? did you test for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? i know you said the conditions were good, but specific numbers help us to figure things out more thoroughly.

puppylover794

AC Members
Jul 8, 2005
California
I didn't transfer the fry, I simply just put a tank divider in.
The only fish I transfered were 5 adult guppies to a 10-gal. and they are doing fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store