Aaaaaaah! Blue-green stuff growing on every surface!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Liesbet

Liesbet
Nov 13, 2006
Massachusetts
What's happening! Blue-green stuff is beginning to coat surfaces. Its showing up in the gravel, the glass, on top of coral, barnacle and other ornaments. Just bought some more plants and some Flourish. Added just a little Flourish because I read that it encouraged algae growth. This stuff starts out looking like a blue-green stain, heavy on the blue, but is very quickly becoming fuzzy. Can't have bottom feeders or snails because I've got some puffers in the tank. Ammonia levels are good. Don't know about nitrates and nitrites.

Any ideas on what this stuff is and how to get rid of it? I like nipping stuff in the bud.

100 gal tank (used to be salt water tank, still has some of the ornaments from that time in it).
2 ryukins (3")
2 figure 8 puffers (2")
1 angelfish
assorment of Java fern, wisteria, swords and grass (11 plants in all, still in the establishing stage).

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
"Added just a little Flourish because I read that it encouraged algae growth."< confusing> Why would you want to encourage......

It would help to have a pic of it. Sounds like BGA but BGA is not fuzzy it is goopy. Take some out and smell it. Does it smell like overripened/rotten cucumbers?

I can't tell you how to treat it until I see your specs.

Lighting
Fert schedule

Last edited:

AquaGhost

AC Members
May 10, 2005
Looks like you got the dreaded BGA (Blue Green Algae)...Blue/Green coats on everything, no fish will touch it, and smell awful (like a swamp!)...

Search the Forum & web for BGA and how to get rid of them. There are many methods, but most important is to attack the source of it.

IMO, this is easier to get rid off than other common algae such as the black bush/beard one (BBA)

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
BGA is not an algae it is bacteria....
easily treated with Erythromycin....but she said this was fuzzy. BGA is NOT fuzzy

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
Well, I can see calling BGA fuzzy. When it coats plants and gravel it tends to look a bit velvety/fluffy. Now if we're talking stringy-fuzzy, it's something else.

BGA typically takes hold when your nitrates hit 0 for an extended period of time. This means the plants have no food. BGA has an edge since it doesn't need nitrate to form, and can use all those super nutrients in the tank that the plants can't use because they need the nitrate to take them up.

To combat it if it is BGA, you can do a couple of things:

1) Black out the tank completely for 3 days. Cover it with a heavy blanket, no light at all should reach the inside of the tank. This means no peaking and no feeding the fish. If it's not gone after 3 days, go for another 3 days.

OR

2) Get some Erythromycin (sold as Maracyn). It's not cheap, but 200mg per 10 gallons dosed daily for 4 days (doing a 25% water change before the 3rd dose) will clear up the BGA nicely.

After it's gone, you'll need to start adding nitrate to your tank to prevent it from coming back. It's best to keep it in the 10ppm range. You'll need a liquid nitrate test for sure to monitor the levels.

Liesbet

Liesbet
Nov 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Sorry, should have been more explicit, got carried away by the dread of it all. Should have said that I used "only" a little, not the perscribed amount, not wanting to encourage algae growth. I agree, it looks like blue-green algae. It originally looked like the ornaments had a blue-green stain, but now I can see substance, a thickness to the stain. I'll get my digital camera working (its been in the shop) and send a picture. If someone can explain to me how to do it I'd greatly appreciate it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store