Dog Faced Puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Victorio

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Recently purchased a nice dog faced puffer, added him to my tank which contains a few varieties of fish and soft corals, does anyone have any experience in keeping these guys in a reef environement. Are they generally reef safe of will he chow down on my leathers and other corals.
Cheers.

kmgriff72

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
This needs to be moved to the SW forum but I don't know how to that. I hope you don't have fish that are small enough to fit in his mouth because if you do they will become dinner. Cool fish though, I just love watching them.

Uncarved Block

Formerly known as "Uncarved Block"
Sep 17, 2006
Washington
kmgriff72 said:
This needs to be moved to the SW forum but I don't know how to that.
Umm... this is the SW forum.

From what I gather its basically unheard of to keep large (or any) puffers in a reef tank. You can say goodbye to any crustaceans - they'll search and destroy shrimps, cleanup crews, etc... I'm not sure about the corals themselves, but if he's already in the tank and you don't have any prized crustaceans you could give it a shot.

Magpen

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Large puffers are generally not considered reef safe fish. They chow down on invertebrates that are found in reef systems. I'm not sure if they will try to eat your leathers or corals they favor the clams and shrimp.

Victorio

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
thanks for the advice, what do these guys generally eat. i know hes a big fan of my mushrooms. What meaty treats do you suggest. Thanks.

clos10

jrwarrior23
Feb 6, 2006
Rohnert Park, CA
My friend has a huge dog face puffer in his reef. He doesnt even go after his hermits maybe because he is really well fed. Than again he is also in a 250gal tank. If I were you I wouldnt put him in a reef :)

Pacudacu

Eats Shoots and Leaves
Nov 18, 2006
Victorio said:
thanks for the advice, what do these guys generally eat. i know hes a big fan of my mushrooms. What meaty treats do you suggest. Thanks.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but when you say mushrooms do you mean the fungus kind?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store