Does my new anacharis and amazon sword need fertilizer or anything?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I just got some anacharis and a sword, which I believe is an amazon. IS there anything special I need to take care of them? I have a 20 gallon, and I checked at my light. It says it is an all glass aquarium 15 watt bulb. Do I need fertilizer or anything to help them grow? Thanks!

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
You may have trouble growing the sword in such a new tank. They need lots of nutrients in the soil. You will probably need to get something for the sword, and for sure higher light. Anacharis will be fine, soon you will have a tank full of it.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Ok, Thanks!

What light should I get? I'm going to petco now. WHat should I get for the sword? You said it may need some help. Do you mean it will die or it will just not grow? Also, for the anacharis, I bought a bunch that has 4 stems, maybe around 9 inches each about. When will it spread and how? How long will it usually take?

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
I bought 6 stems when I got my anacharis 1 month ago and now I have 18 that all stretch to the top of the tank. You are going to need to get a whole new light fixture and everything, just a new bulb will not be enough, because it will still be the same wattage. For ferts I think flourish tabs will do the trick but I have never tried them so I'm not sure.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Ahhh. Ok.

What do you do to keep them going good? What light stuff do you have and do you use fertilizer? How do I trim them? What do you mean by a whole new light setup? I thought they were low light plants...

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
Nope they are high light plants, meaning they need at least 3 WPG, so you would need 60 watts of lighting for the sword to thrive. I don't have swords anymore becaue my 2 WPG was not enough, plus I do not have nutrient rish substrate, so they slowly died off. Here is the thread with my sword growing problems. Here is a link about lighting.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Ok.

Thanks. Could you give me some online links for examples for new light please? I don't really know what I'm looking for.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Yeah, I read it.

I'm just still a little lost. With my lighting, 15 watt flourescent light in a 20 gallon, are you sure that no plants will survive? Do you have a co2 maker, and if so, what type, and is it a necessity?

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
With your lighting there are several plants that will survive, but the sword may not. Your anacharis for example will be just fine. I have a DIY CO2 for my tank, you will not need it with your low light but if you go with more light you will need it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store