API test kit question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ratherbe

A love of life begins in the garden
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
I just finished doing a water test and as I was pouring the chemicals in the sink I got to wondering, "Are these chemicals harmful to a septic system?" :huh:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
While I can not reference anything to back it up, I would say no. I have a septic system and am unaware of any issues. We just had our tank pumped out about 8 months ago and it flowed fine. I would think that if the biological colony had been killed off, they would not have been able to pump too easily.

I more worry about all the other standard chemical cleaners, bleaches, soaps and oils we routinely run into our tanks. Just think how many we generally have..all those special items for toilet cleaning, the laundry, the latex paint brush cleaning... :eek:

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
i do tests for pH, ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes so when i pour the results down the drain at the same time, they mix and give off a toxic-like odor, but im sure its nothing harmful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store