Fast Water Fish for Pl*co Tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
I just set up a driftwood snag for my wood eating pl*cs (Panaque & Panaqolus). The current is pretty strong with 2x2,200liter per hour powerheads to provide the current for my 75 gal tank. I'd like to have some fish that fight the current, some fastwater fish.

I had already thought of neons and cardinals but the current ones here die too easily (maybe because of in-breeding?). Are there any other fastwater fish that can be recommended for pl*co tanks (preferably no fin nipping and with some color)?

I've already decided to adorn my black water main river channel set up with marbel angel fish. Any suggestions are always most welcome. Thank you.

Mike D.

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
BTW, hopefully these fish will stay within the middle to upper strata of the aquarium. I don't want them hiding under and behind the driftwood.

A friend has suggested Silver Dollars and another has offered Rhapiodon Vulupnus? What is that? Cartman offered hatchet fish. Unfortunately hatchet fishes haven't been seen here for years.

kuhli

AC Members
re fast water fish

If your temp isn't too high say less than 77 degrees. For schooling fish,white clouds, and for others weather loaches and /or hillstream loaches thrive in heavy current.
Kuhli

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Sounds like a nice set up, everything I would suggest has already been suggested: hatchets, neons/cardnals, maybe rummy nose tetras. How about Tiger Barbs, are they fast water fish?:confused:

Lynsey

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Giant Danios would work well. They are hardy too. Mine stayed only in the upper region of the tank and often swam right into the powerhead stream. They are nice fish.

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
Are Giant Danios from South America? Dang! I forgot to include that little detail. Giant Danios would have been fine. Since I am trying to simulate a biotope from South America, I have to have a South American fastwater swimmer. Sorry again. I hope that clears up everything. I still need the help. Thanks.

My temperature is very high, I'm afraid.

0scar

ichthys enthusiast
Feb 16, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I just seen long-tailed danios yesterday at pet's'mart... they're nice looking with that shine, and blue stripes... plus they're really quick... i would've suggested them too...

In fact, I was going to get them for my girlfriend, but she said they're too fast and will probably give her a headache... with their long and skinny bodies.... like lil gnats under water....

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Not any tetra...any streamlined tetra...the ones with more of an angelfish profile might get swept away by the current.

And, yes, giant danios are Asian.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store