40 gal breeder puffer tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

puffer8899

AC Members
Feb 8, 2003
pennsilvania beaver county
Visit site
i was thinking of puting this pair of green spotted puffers in a 40 gal br tank (i think its a pair because of the size difference and the way they act) could i add two archers and possible bumble bee gobys to the tank and i do plan on having plenty of filtration on the tank now the puffer pair are only 1/2 maby 1/3 grown but i was thinking of trying to breed them and wanted to ask this question what do you all think of having a different tank with a breeding pair or trio of dwarf puffers and taking water from there tank write after they breed and putting it in the 40 br to try and get the green spotted pair to breed the reason i was thinking this is because i have bin reading articles about people doing that to get coreys to breed do you think it will work

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Gsps have never been bred in captivity, so good luck on that one. The water wouldn't even matter because GSPs are brackish and require ocean salt mix and dwarfs are freshwater.Your tank is not nearly big enough for the two GSPs and two archers, if you go up to a 75 you'd be fine. other than that, go with one GSP and two archers. The BB gobies might fit too. Two GSPs in one tank that size is a bad idea no matter what. They're too territorial to be together without alot of hiding spots and room to run away.

Last edited:

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
IMHO that tank is too small for an archer fish, they can get rather large (upwards of 10"). and they should also be kept in small schools.

I'm assming you already have the 2 GSPs (should really only have one in that tank, but if they get along, so be it)

I would stock with the 2 GSPs with 4-5 BBgobies and maybe a single or pair of knight gobies. unless you had plans for a larger tank sometime soon.

puffer8899

AC Members
Feb 8, 2003
Visit site
i was planning on puting ocean salt in the dwarf puffers water befor i add it and i probbly wouldn't even try two put two puffers in the tank together but they are doing fine now in a 20l with two other green spotted puffs now its strange that they do it but they pair i want to breed will keep the food from the other two one will chase the two away and the other stays at the food two protect it but as soon as the pair are done eating they let the other two eat all they want

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
ocean salt with the dwarf puffers, right....are you nuts.that'll kill them. Your GSPs should also be at a specific gravity of about 1.10 and 1.012 till their big enough to go into marine. You have no salt in with your GSPs. You should, get the dwarfs out into another tank asap and start putting salt into the gsp tank.

puffer8899

AC Members
Feb 8, 2003
Visit site
ok your a little confused i was going to have the dwarfs in separate tanks (i don't have them yet) in fresh water then when they breed take a few gallons of water out of the dwarf tank add the proper amount of salt to it and add id to the green spotted puffer tank when i do a cleaning and at this moment the green spotted puffers are in brakish

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
ok I get what you mean, but theres really no point in putting the dwarfs water into the GSP tank. They won't breed, they never have in captivity because no one knows what kind of parameters they like while breeding. Your puffers probably aren't even male and female, theres no way to tell without cuttin em open.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
GSPs have been spawned several times in captivity, but I have not yet heard of anyone rearing the fry. As with Clown Loaches, it is possible, just uncommon to rare. The rearing of the fry is no doubt a question of both water conditions and proper foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store