What type of fish would get along with my two male mollies?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Britt20

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Should I be getting another fish for these two males? Are they going to be attacking each other? I have a ten gallon tank and am wondering what type of fish i should get and should it be soon or will they be fine for now and not attacking each other. I have noticed that the silver lyretail molly has been chasing after the other male and kind of nipping him in the tail.

Last edited:

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
Are your mollies in a brackish tank or freshwater no salt? Mollies are good tank mates for Swordtails, Platies, Angel Fish, Corydoras Catfish, Plecostomus, and Bigger Tetras like Black Skirts, Red Serpaes, and Silver Tips. Of course these all depend on your water (salt or no salt) I've seen them in both, and your tank size.

Reddog80p

Last edited:

starrystarstarr

AC Members
Jul 17, 2006
South, Texas
when i first started the fish hobby i bought 2 mollies..being new i told the worker a male/female. but relized later on i was given 2 males. by the time i was able to get females one male had killed off the other:( i still went ahead with buying two females but he killed those off. Now hes by himself and seems much happier.

Britt20

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Reddog80p said:
Are your mollies in a brackish tank or freshwater no salt? Mollies are good tank mates for Swordtails, Platies, Angel Fish, Corydoras Catfish, Plecostomus, and Bigger Tetras like Black Skirts, Red Serpaes, and Silver Tips. Of course these all depend on your water (salt or no salt) I've seen them in both, and your tank size.

Reddog80p

There is no salt in my tank and I have a 10g tank.

jennfier

..o0o..o0o..
Aug 22, 2006
SW Ohio
www.aquariacentral.com
Get more male mollies. If there are more than 1 to fight, they usually won't. Otherwise, you can go to your LFS to swap a male for a few females or some other fish mentioned in the above post.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

If your Mollies keep fighting, I would just return one of them.

I think it would look great to have a group of four Panda Cories to add to your tank.

And if you give away one of the Mollies, you could also get Dwarf Gourami I think.

Cory Lover

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I personally would'nt put a betta in with the others. I do like Bettas but I think thier a tad too aggressive IMO.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
dont put angels, bettas, or other long finned fish with mollies, as they can get nippy as they get bigger.
you need more FEmales to keep agression between the males down 1:3 is a good ratio
mollies grow to large for a 10 gallon and you'd need 6 females to suppot the two males you have

Britt20

AC Members
Nov 8, 2006
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
jm1212 said:
mollies grow to large for a 10 gallon and you'd need 6 females to suppot the two males you have
Well it looks like I will only be having one male in this tank... The lyretail seems to be almost dead. Laying on the gravel on its side not doing much, and barely breathing.

So what time of fish would you suggest?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store