Angelfish Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

purblind

1 tank, 2 tanks, 3 tanks, 4tanks...
Aug 22, 2005
Toronto
ca.geocities.com
Has anyone here successfully bred angelfish?

right now this is the 4th time my angelfish have layed their eggs and I wanna get it right.

The first time they layed their eggs on my amazon sword plant so I cut the leaf off and put it into my 10 gallon tank. I put an airstone right under the leaf and I added Maroxy. 2 days later all the eggs are white.

The second time I decided I'll let the angelfish take care of them in the community tank(the eggs were on the glass) but 2 days later they disappeared. Guessing they were eaten by somefish?

The third time I decided to get a tank divider and seperate the angelfish and their eggs, but once again I was foiled and the eggs turned white.

This morning I watched my Female angel lay her eggs and saw the male pass over them so once again I divided the tank. The eggs are once again on my amazon sword plant so they can be removed. What I'm asking here is what would you, the experienced breeder, do? Should I sit tight, should I remove them now, should I remove them in a couple of days?

Thanx ppl. I and the Angels really would appreciate it. So far they've looked like good parents so I'd like to give them their best chance! :)

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Are you sure you have a true pair? It's not uncommon for two females to pair up and lay eggs. If you seperated the tank and left the pair with the eggs and they fungused it's a good chance they were never fertilized.

purblind

1 tank, 2 tanks, 3 tanks, 4tanks...
Aug 22, 2005
Toronto
ca.geocities.com
That's my conclusion(not fertilized). I'm pretty sure I have a male and a female b/c I watched them lay and fertilize. The female has a rounded red thingy and the male has a pointy one. Also, the male has a bigger bump/hump on it head. I'll try to take a couple pics 4 u.

thanx

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
I've bred angelfish before. I've got two pairs of marble anglefish that eat their eggs as soon as the lights turn out. I tried putting a light near the tank to act as a "night light" but the last time they gobbled the eggs as soon as the timer clicked off, even with the extra light.

I do think that it takes multiple tries before a pair gets everything right. It could be that the male isn't getting near enough to the eggs. It's possible he's sterile, I suppose.

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
Here is a pic of my female and you can see the breedind tube "thingy".

Telling sex from pictures is so hard here is my male.

without actually seeing them breed I would have no clue as to which is which.

born2lovefish

AC Members
Feb 20, 2006
Avon, In (suburb of Indianapolis)
I have bred angels. I had a group of angels in a tank and a few would lay eggs, but mine also turned white. I finally bought two breeding pairs from a breeder and went that route. The parents raised the fry and it was fun to watch them. Angels learn how to take care of their fry from their parents, so if you artifically hatch them, you breed it out of them. I have 6 month old angels right now in my 75 that look amazing. I bought 5 large wild angels and am going to try to breed them. It should be interesting to compare how the wild one and the tank raised ones take care of their fry.

sarcare

AC Members
Aug 3, 2006
Tai, is that male a Gold blushing or just gold? I can't tell exactly from the picture. They are very nice looking angels--and your male looks just like my female--in coloration that is.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I currently have three bonifide breeding pairs..and have successfully reared angels.

I have golds similar to your but mine have the black markings. one the female are marble koi( has the orange crest) the other is cross black marble with gold crest
I also have a black marble male and leopard female

the only way to tell for sure which is male and which is female is when they spawn..yes the female has a thick blunt tube(ovipositor) the makes breeding tube is thin and pointed.

your pair look young..while the female may lay eggs and the male may try to fertilize they may not be successful for several attempts.

I always feel it's best to watch and see if the eggs turn white..if they do they were not fertilized..keep in mind the quality of the eggs improve as the female matures. the male will get better at fertilizingas he matures.
it is common for the first few attempts to fail. not to worry..they spawn about every two weeks.

condition the fish with high quality food(frozen blood wormws, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp etc.
I always watch to see how good the parents are..some are good others are not so good..but with spawns about every 2 weeks you should be able to figure it out.
if the eggs make it to 3 days without turning white they will become wigglers..

watch to see how the parents do..on a community setting they may eat the eggs, wigglers or fry..if this happens you can try removing the eggs..placing in a small tank with an airstone and either H2O2(hydrogen peroxide) or methylene blue( these are fungus inhibitors)
if you can keep water circulation it helps keep fungus away. in three days eggs turn into wigglers..this get tricky wigglers don't swim well and may stay on the bottom..keep mild circulation to help prevent fungus here too..3 mare days and they are free swimmers..if the egg sac is gone you will need to feed bbs(baby brine shrimp) the fry love these..mine would not eat fry food..
you will need to feed the fry 4 X day..and you will need to remove waste everyday..its a lot of work but it is rewarding.

there are a lot of different things you can try..in my tanks the parents seem to raise the babys to freeswimmers..I remove them at this time as they tend to eat the freeswimmers as they get ready to spawn again.

JuanTamad

Cichla Magnet
Oct 29, 2006
Miami, Fl 33196
purblind said:
Has anyone here successfully bred angelfish?

right now this is the 4th time my angelfish have layed their eggs and I wanna get it right.

The first time they layed their eggs on my amazon sword plant so I cut the leaf off and put it into my 10 gallon tank. I put an airstone right under the leaf and I added Maroxy. 2 days later all the eggs are white.

The second time I decided I'll let the angelfish take care of them in the community tank(the eggs were on the glass) but 2 days later they disappeared. Guessing they were eaten by somefish?

The third time I decided to get a tank divider and seperate the angelfish and their eggs, but once again I was foiled and the eggs turned white.

This morning I watched my Female angel lay her eggs and saw the male pass over them so once again I divided the tank. The eggs are once again on my amazon sword plant so they can be removed. What I'm asking here is what would you, the experienced breeder, do? Should I sit tight, should I remove them now, should I remove them in a couple of days?

Thanx ppl. I and the Angels really would appreciate it. So far they've looked like good parents so I'd like to give them their best chance! :)

I've been breeding Angels since 2001. Currently have 12 productive pairs. I provide each pair a 1/2 inch PVC tube for them to deposit their eggs. This allows me to take out the eggs out of their tank without getting my hands wet or disturbing their tank.

At times when I'm out of space for rearing more baby Angels I just leave the PVC pipe with eggs with the pair. Sometimes the eggs disappear sometimes the parents ends up hatching the eggs and eventually rearing fries in their tank.

So, if you leave the eggs with your pair, they might end up eating the eggs or end up rearing them. If there are other fish with them, the eggs and/or fries have very little chance for survival.

I've also have success siphoning the fries after they hatch and then rearing them away from the parents. I currently have a split batch. I siphoned about 100 fries and left the rest with the parents. Both groups are doing just fine.

Good luck with your pair's eggs and maybe fries. :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store