moss wall!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

knotty47

U give me coin, i give u booty!
Jan 23, 2006
huddersfield uk
hi,

I started my tank some 8 months ago, at that point i hadn't really thought about doing a planted tank. But several weeks in i got some bogwood and java ferns. These ferns grow really well, maybe to well. A couple of days ago i trimmed some of the larger leaves off, they were pertruding out the water. I run a nutrafin CO2 system on the tank and so was expecting a quick re-growth, but what has actually happened is that algae has begun to appear ( i've always had a small amount, but now its begining to spread!). Obviously the fern will at some point re-grow, but in the mean time I was thinking of adding a moss wall to my tank, i thought this may help slow the algae and is the only way of having more plants due to my lack of plant friendly substrate. I've seen a website that uses a system of folded over plastic mesh with java moss in between, that is then added to the back wall with suction cups. Has anyone tried anything similiar? would it be beneficial to prevent the algae growth?

Some info on my tank - 20gal, ammonia 0 , nitrites 0 nitrates 0-5.

Its home to 10 mixed tiger barbs, any help is greatly appreciated

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
I've got one growing currently that is really starting to fill in nicely. My Cherry Shrimp seem to just love it for cover and to preen and search for bits of food in.
Yes, any additional plant mass is a hedge against algae and it's issues. A back wall composed entirely of moss adds a great deal to plant mass.:)

Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store