Color change

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H8Parrotfish 13

I kill Parrotfish for your own good
Can a stripe Midas cichlid eventually change color?

Cause i noticed that my midas is losing it's black greyish color and is getting lighter, the stripes are still there but i fear they could fade.

Is there any reason for this? (water conditions,food, etc)

rus

self proclaimed proclaimer
Jan 6, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
Amphilophus citrinellus (midas), and Amphilophus labiatus (red devil) all start out with the striped pattern. as they grow most color morph 2-3 times during their life(unless it is a true striped midas). the first is the most dramatic with the next 1 or 2 being small changes. i still havent found any info on why some change at very small sizes and some change at up to 8" or 18 months old. if yours is a striped midas it will never change. but just because it is striped when you get it doesnt mean it is a striped midas. and i have actually been told that some striped midas dont display the dark lines as young only the dark blotches like a con has. striped midas are rare and the likely hood of finding one at a local fish store is slim at best.
here are some pictures of my red devil before during and after morphing.

Last edited:

boxhitter

Registered Member
Nov 9, 2005
if you want a ture barred midas go to jeff rapps he has very nice fish. even wild cault fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store