python style vacuum/fill kit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

juandela

Registered Member
Apr 6, 2003
kalamazoo
Visit site
i am looking for a diy solution to the riggors of the weekly water change routine. i have a 30g and 55g freshwater tanks and lugging the (drinking) water bottle is about to kill me. i love the python setup but think they are pricey at $30. i already have a couple of the simple vacuums so the only things i need are more hose and whatever valves, connectors, and such make up the rest of the kit. has anyone built one? has anyone seen any plans for one?

to answer the inevitable.....yes i am new and yes i read through all the diy questions. i don't see where this has been asked before....hard to believe but....i didn't see it.

anyway, any help on this topic would be so greatly appreciated.
thanks,
jon

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Hi juandela - the parts used on the Python setup are almost, if not entirely, identical to the parts used to empty/fill waterbeds. You might try calling a waterbed store and ask what they charge for those parts. Since everything in the aquarium trade is overpriced, you may be able to save a few dolalrs that way.

christopher1260

Expert Novice
Nov 2, 2002
Athens, OH
community.webshots.com
I actually use a new garden hose with a waterbed fill kit from WalMart. The hose was $10 and the fill kit was $5. i have also found that if you cut the bottom off of a clean 20oz. pop bottle you can duct tape it onto the end of your hose to use as a gravel vac:) good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store