"Best" filtration method

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Uncarved Block

Formerly known as "Uncarved Block"
Sep 17, 2006
Washington
Is there a "best" filtration method for the home marine?? Basically, if someone were building an aquarium from scratch, what would you recommend? I've heard different things from different sources, and was just wondering what the AC experts would have to say about it.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Liverock

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
I also accidentally fell in line with some good natural filtration in my tank and it works completely well and at times, I feel it is better than any of my mechanical filters in my FW tanks since I dont have to worry about the natural filtration draining the tank onto my living room floor! I actually bought a couple cleaner clams and when I test my water just before I do a water change, I still have very minimal nitrates in the tank. I think it is a perfect system and cheaper if you count electricity and media replacement costs over the long run.

If you can afford mostly cured live rock and can get it into your tank with minimal die off, it is also a much faster filtration system and my tank was theoretically cycled in about three days.

Uncarved Block

Formerly known as "Uncarved Block"
Sep 17, 2006
Washington
What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a deep sand bed?

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
A dsb provides denitrification....houses all the critters that will take care of cleaning up any leftover food, detritus etc...it is also esethically more pleasing to the eye imo......the barebottom requires more water flow to ensure that the detritus is kept in suspension to be removed by the skimmer......

Lorna

Reef Crazy
Mar 1, 2005
Indiana
Better, it adds more water volume and is a place to grow macro algae which will assist in keeping nitrates/phosphates under control......just don't put any sponges or bioballs in it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store