Surgery!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
i just had to perform surgery on my true percula clown, i just got him today and noticed after a while that while in my tank had acquired a red leech or anchor type worm, i netted him (finally) and wet my hand to hold him while i carefully removed the worm from the left side of his body near the front of his body, wow, that stressed him out a LOT, is there anything i can do now to calm him down/help him recover and prevent future infestations?

thanks

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
by the way, it's very possibly that you'll never see another worm again. when you netted the clown, did you have him fully in the water so he could breath? it doesn't metter now, what's done is done, but i was just wondering. i removed long fat white worm from my cardinal tetra before, it was stuck so that i thought i was going to remove it with the fish's gill. i put some aloe in and few months later he still swims with his friends. he was stressed but had calm down by the end of the same day. good luck. hope somebody has better idea for your clown. because i don't mess with my salt water fish. i have fish cleaners so i make them do the work. :)

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
yeah, i'm planning on getting a neon goby and also a cleaner shrimp soon so i don't have to do that anymore, and i netted him then gently lifted him out of the net with a wet hand for less than 5 seconds then released him, he seems calm now, i'm just owrried another one will attack before i get my cleaners

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
OMG!! he's got another one, identical to the one he had before, what's going on here, where are they coming from and what are they, they look just like tiny leeches that are blood red in color, should i remove like i did before or what????

help! :sad:

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

there's pics of the one i removed on a notecard and the new one on my fish

Tommy Gun

Fish Fanatic
Aug 1, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Boulderman,

I dont know if I am not seeing something or it is my computer, but I don't see any images. I would like to see what you are talking about so I can look for the same things in my tank.

A little input as well about the cleaner fish/shrimp. I recently bought a Neon Goby (actually three, but one came before the other two) and was simply amazed at how small they are! Here is a picture of the one the LFS ordered for me:

And no, I do not have that big of a finger! :rolleyes:

I just wanted to point this out because at least in my area, they are hard to order in a much larger size and this causes a big problem for any of us that have powerhead pumps or intake heads since they can obviously get sucked into almost anything. I eventually went back to the LFS to get the other two gobies since I had paid for them (the one in the picture did not make it over night. I had to keep it in a breeder's net so it wouldn't get sucked up and that must have stressed it out or something) and saw that the LFS had put some cloth over their intakes and one of the gobies was stuck to it anyways. I just took the loss of money and went home.

Anyways, I looked into the shrimp idea since they were obviously bigger and was advised to get a Fire (Blood) Shrimp. These shrimp are GREAT cleaners and I see it happen quite a bit in my tank. They are less apt to stick to cleaning the live rock as I have been told the Skunk Shrimp (I believe, my LFS just calls them 'cleaner shrimp') tend to do more. They are reclusive but when I got another one and had a pair, they were and still are all over the place, especially when only my blue actynic lights are on. I really like them a lot and felt that maybe you could look into them and see if they would help you out with your situation. I also know that my six-line wrasse is really good at eating any worms and little unwanted critters from the live rock. I think mine has created a little bond with my flame angel and so I was thinking that maybe it could go after some of the worms that you have, but that is just a thought and not really even an educated guess.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
wow! you need something that would eat that stuff. i was trying to go figure what it is, but it's so many of them that it would take me hours to figure what kind it is. well, give a clown a brake for two days or so before you mess with him again. i read about parasites and it could be anything, but some use fish for just transportation and others suck their blood. interesting thing is that lice, and i'm sure some other, will hook onto the host's face because it keeps the parasite from being washed away by the current. suppostibly, those things are irritants to the fish, but it's worse if there are several at one time. i say, give the fish a break and try again, but don't take it out of the water. i just netted my fish and brought it up near the top and worked from there, put a hand under a net and gently turned the fish a little on the side so i could get the worm. now, i would run out to the store and get cleaner wresse, but you can't go by me. that fish or cleaner shrimp will take care of the problem withing few days, so you wouldn't have to torcher and maybe loose your clown to stress. there are two things about cleaner wresse you need to know. first, you have to make sure it eats at least live brine shrimp before you buy it, so ask to feed it. later it will learn to eat averything else, but if it doesn't take anything than it's possible that it never will and soon will starve because you don't have that many fish. second, when they adjust they can get a bit territorial. mine attacks new fish sometimes, and my hand.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It looks like a fluke to me . I'd give the fish a fresh water dip ,"make sure the ph of the water matches and slowly adjust the s.g. to fresh water. The invertebrate is far more sensitive to osmotic shock than the fish. After treatment keep an eye on your tank for a while and make sure that you don't have a re-infestation.
You could really avoid a lot of issues if you'd set up a relatively inexpensive q.t. tank. It's much better to have one available than to have to treat your main tank.
hth
Max

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
well, i left him alone for the night and the thing is still on him, the shrimp didn't remove it and he looks bad, he's just on the bottom, not being actie and he's getting pale, his lips are turning almost white, what do i do, how do i save my $40 fish?!?!?!?!?

HELP!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store