Redcap - Sick or what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

anna911

Registered Member
Mar 14, 2006
I have a 30 G setup and it just completed one year yesterday. I have Redcaps (2), Black Moors (3) & Shubunkins (2) in that. One of my Redcaps seems to be sick. It keeps sitting still at one place on the bottom of the tank most of the day and is not swimming and playing liker the other fish. Only when i put in the food does it come to the top and then goes back to its perch. IS IT SICK?? The tail of the fish also seems to a bit different with sort of red veins showing.

I have been adding anti fungul medicine and salt regularly, say once a week.

Anything I can do to help the fish??

Another query: Can i add a couple of sharks to this setup? Will they be compatible with my set?

Waiting for your help

Anna

Waylander

AC Members
Jun 23, 2006
Tasmania, Australia
I don't suppose you have a test kit? It would help alot to know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. I'm not sure exactly what could be wrong with your fish. But given that you have so many goldfish, it could be a water quality or stunting issue.

It is the opinon of many on this forum, myself included, that goldfish need around 30 gallons each. As they are extremely messy and grow to quite a considerable size. What sort of filtration are you running on your tank? It doesn't sound like a fungal problem to me, so the fungus medicine probably isn't helping much, and is likely just stressing the fish. Same deal with the salt. Did you start dosing salt before or after the fish became sick?

As for the shark (of any variety). They are tropical fish, goldfish are coldwater fish. Thus the two have very different needs. Add to that the fact that you have too many fish already and a shark is a definite, resounding no.

Hopefully others may more of an idea of what may be wrong with your fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
In addition to the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings and what filtration you are running...

What is your maintennce routine?
How often and how big are your water changes? Or are you just topping off the tank?
How frequent do you gravel vac?

fantail

AC Members
Sep 22, 2004
scotland
Bottom sitting is usually a sign of a bacterial disease, and i agree you have too many fish so the filter wont be coping and you may not be doing enough in water changes and gravel vacs

daniellehaagen

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
This is the same thing that is happening with my calico fantail. At first we thought it was a raised brown spot on his tail, but it has since turned into a red vein like pattern. He sitting on the bottom of the tank and only comes up for food. He was in a 55 gal tank with two other goldfish (they are all very tiny, about an inch and a half or smaller), but then he developed a few ich spots so we took him out and put him into a quarantine tank. The ich seemed to get a little better but now he is sick with this. We are currently treating him with Maracyn-Two. This was the advice of our LFS. Is there a different medication we should be using?

daniellehaagen

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
I forgot to mention that I just tested the water and the levels are: Ammonia-0, Nitrites-0, and Nitrates- 0-5ppm. I think we really stressed him out when we moved him to another tank and took him away from his friends. Should we move him back or wait for his condition to clear? I appreciate any advice!

daniellehaagen

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
We moved Ipo back to the 55 gal tank and he seems so happy. I think the other two were happy to see him also. It's almost like it gave them a second wind to deal with their ich. Ipo's tail is looking much better. If we could just get rid of this pesty ich. I don't have a good feeling about it, but we won't give up until we have to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store