Need Help With Betta

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SftWrmRain

Welcome To Wherever You Are
Nov 14, 2006
My betta from Thailand is exhibiting some symptoms that I think could require some fairly quick action but I can't diagnose the issue.

The inhabitants of my 10 gallon are 2 bettas, divided. About a week ago, an african dwarf frog was introduced, and has been spending his time on the side with my male betta.

The tank he's in has been running for about 3 months. Up until about a week ago, the tank readings were typical - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-10 nitrates. I would change out the water a couple times a week to keep it fresh. I am feeding once a day (cut back about 3 days ago from 2 feedings a day due to ammonia problem), alternating aqua culture betta pellets, freeze dried brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms.

Since I am caring for fry in a tank alongside theirs, I test both tanks water every other day. In my adult betta tank, for about a week, I am getting .5 ammonia readings. I immediately change the water, and wonder, why is that happening? It has bugged me, but now my male betta is exhibiting symptoms that disturb me.

Two days ago, I sat down by the tank and it frightened him (or so I thought) and he dashed to the back of the tank, where he sat on the gravel for awhile. Yesterday, I noticed him breathing heavily. This morning, I woke up and his fins are COMPLETELY CHEWED. !!! I was/am in shock. Obviously, either HE is eating his own fins, or the frog is. Both spend a great deal of time inside of a decorative ship in the tank. Is it possible the frog is doing this, or is it more likely that he's done it to himself since he has shown other not-so-great symtoms?

I changed 75% of the water, and added 8 teaspoons of salt, along with a bigger than usual dose of prime. Should I remove the frog to my Q tank while I try to figure this out? I moved him to the side with my female betta for now, but am assuming he won't like the salt addition. I am thinking I should add melafix?

I haven't ever changed the filter pad, but I have replaced the carbon. Temp is at 81* and I have an airstone on the male's side as well (filter on female's side).

Thanks for any insight. I don't want to lose my baby.

ValChewed.jpg ValChewed2.jpg

Last edited:

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
wow :eek:

looks just like MY betta! just that the chewing stopped and he has no tank mates. and i took out the spiny plant (maybe he tore his fin?).

i'd say...

waterchanges and prime would be best, i guess... i don't know if stress coat works but if it does, i think it's a good idea to add it now :D

SftWrmRain

Nov 14, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out the problem. Via research and another message board, I have found that ADF may not be the best tankmate for a male betta, especially after a spawn. Since frogs eat fry, he may have felt stressed and the need to protect his fry, even though they are no longer in his tank.

Secondly, I learned that keeping a female in the same tank, although divided, places undo stress on the male. He may feel frustrated he can't get at the female for mating, OR to be able to defend "his" tank.

I have moved the frog AND his female mate to another tank in order to give him privacy and space to recover. Hopefully this will do the trick. I also added a biowheel filter, and some new plants in an effort to make his home more comfortable.

Thanks again for your help.

SftWrmRain

Nov 14, 2006
CaitxSith said:
and i took out the spiny plant (maybe he tore his fin?).
I meant to say, this plant is SUPER SOFT. It's looks are very deceiving! He loves to lay in it and brush up against it. :) It definitely looks prickly though!

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
ah yes. and i'm going to send my betta to my main tank, where it has lots of live and plastic plants. i bet even after acclimating it, it'll get shocked :p:.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
im also concerned about my bettas constantly flaring each other. they are temporarily in a breeder net seperated by a piece of plexiglass hanging in the 20G while the 10G is being renovated. i made my own plexiglass dividers hoping i would be able to "smoke" or tint them a little but wasn't the case. since theres going to be three compartments, im going to leave the middle one empty for a while until my java moss or some algae covers the dividers so they won't be constantly flaring each other.

SftWrmRain

Nov 14, 2006
icecubez189 said:
im also concerned about my bettas constantly flaring each other. they are temporarily in a breeder net seperated by a piece of plexiglass hanging in the 20G while the 10G is being renovated. i made my own plexiglass dividers hoping i would be able to "smoke" or tint them a little but wasn't the case. since theres going to be three compartments, im going to leave the middle one empty for a while until my java moss or some algae covers the dividers so they won't be constantly flaring each other.
Probably a good idea. I have always enjoyed watching my bettas flare at each other, thinking it was normal behavior, but recently learned it isn't so good for them to do it so much. I feel terrible about subjecting them to each other constantly, but am making adjustments to better provide for them.

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
I don't really have experience on the subject yet but if I believe if you put mostly plants next to the divider and block most of the view (not all) then that's the best way to go. Try elodea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store