Need some help with Mystery snail eggs...lots of eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Ok. First I have 5 different types of Mystery snails, blue, purple, black, ivory and albino. They all have their own tanks (with fish) except the purple and black are together. Now... I just went to do my weekly water changes and.... OMG! I have eggs. Tons of them! I'm actually happy about this, because I wanted them to breed so I could sell them.

Problems: In one tank, with a little snail munching betta, I have 7 egg casings by the light fixture. These need to be moved because it's not moist enough, and when they hatch...yum yum betta, bye bye babies. (Same thing applies to 2 other tanks where the snail live with Kribs) Basically I need to move all the eggs.

Can I...Dampen (not soak) some paper towel and put it in one of those little critter keepers with the eggs laying on top, and then just float it in my most humid tank? I know it floats because I quarantined once like that. I want to ensure I have the highest hatch I can. So far between all my tanks I have 11 egg sacs. All 'pure' bred.

I basically need advice. Do you think my idea will work? Have you incubated these eggs before?? Ack! Any help would be great!!!

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
As long as the eggs are not floating directly in water - go for it. Although watch carefully, as when they start hatching you'll want to make sure the babies can get to water.

There is a forum specifically for reproducing snails at applesnail.net with more information, but it sounds like your plan ought to work.

Chickieepooh2u

Ooo, Ooo! Pick me pick me!!
Jan 12, 2006
Norfolk, NE
www.myspace.com
Of the 7 egg casings I found in one tank, 2 have already started to hatch!!! It's the Albino's. I estimate I have about 100...so far. They aren't finished yet!! I'm a snail gramma!!! LOL

I've already started the process of getting my 'snail shipping permit'. E-bay and Aquabid here I come. LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store