will two female German Blue Rams fight?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WhitneyGail

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Hi,

After losing my first german blue ram a few weeks ago, I aquired two new ones (hoping for a male/female pair). The people in the lfs said they "thought" I had a male and female. I wasn't sure about the "male," but I was just about certain at least one was female. As they've gotten bigger, it appears that I may have two females.....both have pink bellies and both have blue spangles in their black dots...neither have particularly elongated dorsal spikes. That being said....one is more dominant than the other and tries to chase and nip at her side (near her eye) all the time......I've read that this sometimes happens in males and that the submissive one will run away and escape harm....but with mine, she doesn't. She just flares her fins and sort of takes it....not moving away....and then she chases back a bit.

Alot of the time, they seem to get along and move around in the tank together, but they also have these squabbles on a regular basis.

The tank's big enough (30 gallons) with lots and lots of hiding spaces, in the form of plants, rocks and caves.

Is this harmless quibbling, or do I need to remove one of the fish?

Are fighting females normal? What would happen if I took one out and got a male (he'd probably be smaller than the other for a while)

Cathy G

Bolivians Rock
Jan 15, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.cathygeier.com
Normal behavior... just watch their fins to make sure nobody is actually getting bit or damaged. They are staking out territory and working out who will be the dominant one.
Cathy.
PlS If you add a male, then the situation becomes a bit dicey between the 2 females. Once a permanent pair bond is formed, that odd female could be in serious trouble... I think the ladies are prettier than the men anyway.

WhitneyGail

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
fins seem intact.....the idea of adding a male would be contingent on removing one of the girls....but....if this behavior is normal, and nobody is at risk of losing an eye or worse....I leave them be and let them sort it out.

Coral Keeper

AC Members
Aug 24, 2007
West Sacramento, CA
Hi,

After losing my first german blue ram a few weeks ago, I aquired two new ones (hoping for a male/female pair). The people in the lfs said they "thought" I had a male and female. I wasn't sure about the "male," but I was just about certain at least one was female. As they've gotten bigger, it appears that I may have two females.....both have pink bellies and both have blue spangles in their black dots...neither have particularly elongated dorsal spikes. That being said....one is more dominant than the other and tries to chase and nip at her side (near her eye) all the time......I've read that this sometimes happens in males and that the submissive one will run away and escape harm....but with mine, she doesn't. She just flares her fins and sort of takes it....not moving away....and then she chases back a bit.

Alot of the time, they seem to get along and move around in the tank together, but they also have these squabbles on a regular basis.

The tank's big enough (30 gallons) with lots and lots of hiding spaces, in the form of plants, rocks and caves.

Is this harmless quibbling, or do I need to remove one of the fish?

Are fighting females normal? What would happen if I took one out and got a male (he'd probably be smaller than the other for a while)
I just got 2 males 2 days ago and they are doing the same thing! Will my 2 males stop nibbling and chasing the other? Or do I have to get rid of one? They are in a 25 gallon high heavily planted tank with lots oh hiding spots and such. The tank is big and there is plenty of room for both! Can't they just get along.....

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I just got 2 males 2 days ago and they are doing the same thing! Will my 2 males stop nibbling and chasing the other? Or do I have to get rid of one? They are in a 25 gallon high heavily planted tank with lots oh hiding spots and such. The tank is big and there is plenty of room for both! Can't they just get along.....
not when theyre males...put a female in there and it would get worse

Twill

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Davenport, Iowa
if you want to add a male then haveing both females in there still should be fine
According to most of the comments I've seen, and as Cathy G suggested, this would be a bad idea. Two bonded pairs would be ok, but not a pair and an extra female. I'm sure someone out there has done it and been successful - all fish are different - but it would be an irresponsible thing to experiment with unless you were quite sure.

To help your females better stake out their own territories, make sure you have some kind of "structure" in your tank (driftwood, rocks, plants).

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
According to most of the comments I've seen, and as Cathy G suggested, this would be a bad idea. Two bonded pairs would be ok, but not a pair and an extra female. I'm sure someone out there has done it and been successful - all fish are different - but it would be an irresponsible thing to experiment with unless you were quite sure.

To help your females better stake out their own territories, make sure you have some kind of "structure" in your tank (driftwood, rocks, plants).
GBR pairs do not always stick for life as some take the "harem" approach. If a pair breeds than the extra female may become a target so it is better to isolate the pair as much as possible

I have heard of many people putting a trio of GBRs in a tank, especially on this site (1M:2F)

lili70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2007
I have a similar problem:I had 2 girls and they were fine for a while but they started fighting. Then I separated them. Then I got 2 boys. Everything was fine and the boys were just following in a humble manner the ladies. I thought I was safe. Now it's a crazy chase ! Both females are in hidding. The tanks are full with plants and decorations. Maybe the girls will survive but ......
Always choosing the "wrong" fishes,
L.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store