A Light Fixture for my 55 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wxguy23

AC Members
May 22, 2006
Hello everyone again. So far you guys have been a good help.

Now for some cosmetic surgery...

I have a 55 gallon regular tank with an oak canopy. I have a couple of pieces of glass cut out for a top and a 36" light with two 15w bulbs in them. I was looking to bump up to a 48" light with better bulbs. I have 6 goldfish and snail and a bottom feeder. No live plants.

First Question, why not a shop light? I know I can't lay the bulbs directly on the glass, but a shop light that has a reflector low enough on the sides.

How much is too much light? Will it get too hot?

Does is really make a difference than the 36" I already have? Can I get better bulbs for it?

If I need to get a light for my tank, where can I shop? They just seem soooo expensive! My wife is about to kill me already.

boulderman1

AC Members
Aug 8, 2006
Chicago, IL
i have a shop light with aquarium spectrum bulbs on my 90 gal., the fixture has reflectors that come down past the level of the bulbs so they are suspended above the tank cover, so that works, and when dealing with regualr output flourecent bulbs, you can't really have too much light

good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store