Strange Growth on Rocks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jeffmarskell

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Toronto
I need some advice. I have a growth on my rocks that I believe I should be removing, but I'm not sure. It has the same shape as a mushroom, but it isn't. It is greyish-white in colour.

Does anyone know what this is?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Texture? Any movement/reaction to touch? Could be a sponge, could be a discoma. Neither is a threat.

jeffmarskell

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Toronto
It doesn't appear to be a Discoma. It does not have the same texture as a mushroom. It is about as thick as thin cardboard. Also, they have spread. It almost looks like a wide mouthed megaphone, kind of has the same shape as a mushroom. I know it sounds strange, but it is hard to discribe.

I don't know the names of things, so anything people recommend, I will look up on the net and try to match it by appearance. If I had a digital camera, I would post a picture.

Any more suggestions.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It sounds like it is soft to the touch? Could be a toadstool coral--it's a soft coral, that starts out looking like a roundish pad, but it has small polyps that extend out from the surface. Does it react if you touch it?

jeffmarskell

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Toronto
It isn't soft at all. In fact, I don't believe it is a coral. It does not react to light or to the touch. It doesn't move at all.

I actually was thinking that it may be a type of algae, but I cannot find any pictures on the net when I search for algae photos.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would be proud of it! One of the neatest things about SW systems is the huge variety of things that just show up, so this would be something I would celebrate. Very few macro algaes are harmful at all, so I wouldn't worry about it unless if starts to take over.

There are reefers who keep tanks of nothing but odd and unusual macro algaes. This one looks like a beaut!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store