Gibbiceps is this true

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Saw this in a article called going for the gold It say "There is also a pretty albino Gibbiceps Pleco, pond raised in Florida that will grow eighteen inches in your aquarium or at least three feet long in Florida fish farm ponds. " Ive always heard they only get 18" is it true in a pond they get 36" or was this dude sadly confused???

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
it has been reported of these fish reaching such sizes. no definate maximum size is acurately available, but many do grow up to and over 2ft in the aquarium. i recently saw some of these albino forms in my LFS, and they sure do fetch a high price tag. i was considering getting one, but i had to hold myself back and think about just how many fish i have in my tanks already....

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Over two feet? Maaaaybe. 3 feet? That author has got some bad information. The normal max is probably around 20" though I'm sure some very large individuals could reach 24". I'm not even aware of a loriicardae that gets 3 feet.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
"In size, Loricariids range from the giant Acanthicus species that can grow to over three feet in length to the tiny members of Otocinclus that rarely attain sizes of more than an inch or two."-From Linder/Dignall, "Just Say Pleco," TFH, June 1999.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I didn't think so. I was looking for pics of albino gibbiceps and ran into this article it was talking about the albino bushynose pleco then they rought up the albino gibbiceps getting 3' in florida ponds. I know some pleco's could get 36" but never heard of a gibbiceps getting that big. The biggest Ive heard before this was 24" and that is a over grown gibbiceps.

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
i saw a gibby that appeared to be a little bit under 2 feet long and a liposaurus that was about 2 and a half feet long at a fish store in florida when i was on vacation.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
I January I saw a Gibby that was ~2ft long in an aquarium. It was at an LFS in Houston. I didn't measure it, but I used to have a regular pleco that I measured at 18 inches and this gibby was much larger (not only in length but in girth). Not only that, but there were 2 of them. I think it would be possible for a gibby to get close to 3 feet given the right conditions.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I cant even picture a 3' gibbiceps but say it can get that big how big of a tank would it need I would imagine bigger then a 6' tank que no for he will be have the size of the tank. Any suggestions on tank size or pond size???

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I'm still going to stick with the 24" max. and say you'd be fine with a 125. As long as he has his favorite spot you could probably get away with a 75 with MASSIVE filtration, but I'd shoot larger if you could. I'd like to see confirmed reports on a 3' gibbiceps before I'd believe it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store