Rotala and Vallisneria, suitable in 2.5wpg Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Today I went to my LFS to buy some plants, and I got a small bunch of rotala (green and red) and some vallisneria. Right now, teh val is about 6 inches tall, and it has a corkscrew like look. What kind are the most likely, and are they suitable for 2.5wpg? The man there seemed very knowledgeable and said they would do great. I love the look. Now in my 20 high, I have some val, rotala, an amzon sword, and some anacharis! Looks great!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hmmm.

Thanks you very much. You have any ideas what kind they could be? I'll post pics later.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Ahh.. Ok...

How long should it take for my amazon sword to grow too big. Once it grows too big, what can I do with it? Will like LFS buy it haha, or could I trade it in maybe for another plant? Also, do rotala and val grow fast and how big usually?

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hmmm...

How does vallisneria grow or reproduce? Mine has roots, and then around 3 stems that reach out. DO new stems just sprout out of the existing roots? I just got my val today. Can you trim them? How? Can the trimmings be replanted such as anacharis?

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Val spreads by runners. Is this what you mean when you say, " it has three stems that reach out"? The runners look like thin rods with arrow shaped heads on the end. They come from the crown of the plant, which is the part right above the roots. They will continue to spread these runners forming a sort of chain along the gravel. If you want you can separate the daugter plant from the mother plant once it has grown a decent size. This is a rosette plant, different from a stem plant, that cannot be cut at the leaves and propagated. If a leaf is cut it will most likely rot away, though some people report otherwise. Val grows very long leaves. The smaller type will grow to about 2 feet long. To try and keep it smaller, this is no gaurantee, you can cut of the outer leaves with a sharp kinfe where the leaf meets the base or crown.

Rotala as any stem plant is a fast grower with the proper lighting, CO2, and fertilizers. I have some in a ten gallon with 20 watts of light, diy CO2, and occasional trace ferts so far it is growing pretty quickly. My val, which is in the same tank and about a month old, has sprouted a runner which has grown about 3 inches in a week.

Once the sword out grows your tank you could trade it back to the LFS, though I doubt they would want it. Or you could swap it online at one of the fish/ plant oriented forum. I'm not sure if this site has a page for swaps, but other boards that I frequent do.

Last edited:

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
will5 said:
They will do great in that amount of light. But your amzon sword will have to be removed once it gets bigger because it will grow way TTTTTTTTTOOOOOOO BIG for your tank.
Or, you could just trim it to keep it down.

You will want to put a short plant or ornament in front of the Rotala. It will grow so fast that it will not be able to support the lower leaves of the plant, and they will die and fall off. It is the Rotala's way of competing with algae. For this reason I trim my rotala from the bottom instead of cutting it from the top like you do with most plants.

Last edited:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks Guys.

I don't know what the runners you are talking about. I said the 3 stems, by that I mean like 3 leaves that pop out. The runner, is it under the gravel? Also, how do I trim the val? Just cut off wherever I want? And how do they reprooduce again, I don't really get the runner thing...

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
More.

What other plants would be good in my tank? Pics coming soon...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store